Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Connect Moderator

Re: 3 must-try restaurants in Singapore

Okay @JulienH

We will do that:-) Thank you!

Level 8

I will be in Singapore at the end of the month, thanks for the heads up on these and I will try to give these a try if time permits.

Level 8

Welcome to Singapore @AngieYC! My personal favourite is Hai Di Lao. Although the waiting time can get really long sometimes, their food and service are totally awesome! Hoped you enjoyed your time here 🙂

Level 8

Affordable Wagyu beef bowls @ Singapore's Tokidon!

Eating Wagyu beef can be an expensive experience. After all, they are special beef meat imported from Japan, bred especially for that tender and juicy taste that melts in your mouth. However, you can get affordable Wagyu beef in Singapore provided that you know where to look. One of the places you can find cheap Wagyu beef in Singapore happens to be Tokidon, which I visited recently.

IMG_20181022_181946.jpg

Decked in bright neon lights, Tokidon is a Japanese restaurant with a retro gaming feel to it, offering cheap rice bowls called dons. They have different meat like chicken and salmon, but their speciality is their affordably priced luxury food items, which are the Wagyu beef and caviar. 

IMG_20181022_183848.jpg

Similar to how Japanese rice bowls, or dons, are usually served, the dons come in a mixture of meat, egg, vegetables and sauce. Each of the bowls is priced affordably below 30 Singapore dollars. The beef served was tender and juicy, cooked to an eye-pleasing outer brown layer with a pink centre. The meat slices tasted heavenly, which gave off a fine dining vibe rather than an open restaurant concept in a basement of a bank building.

IMG_20181022_183658.jpg

To complete our experience, we also topped up our meal with caviar, another luxury food item that comes from fattened geese. It was my first time trying caviar and it was quite an experience having the soft meat melt in your mouth. 

Aside from rice bowls, Tokidon also serves sides like ebi and karage. They also have an assorted selection of sake for people looking for a drink and chat.

IMG_20181022_183701.jpg

Tokidon is definitely a must-visit if you're a fan of Japanese rice bowls and wagyu beef. The food is cheap without sacrificing quality and the place is easily accessible via public transport. Definitely recommend!

How about you? Any place you visit for cheap but good eats?

Former Google Contributor

Re: Affordable Wagyu beef bowls @ Singapore's Tokidon!

Hi @DoriyaKiz,

Thank you very much for presenting us the Tokidon restaurant in Singapore. The food looks irresistibly delicious.

If it happens to me to travel to Singapore, this restaurant is definitely a must visit place.

By the way, have you seen @AngieYC's 3 must-try restaurants in Singapore post? In there you can find more places recommended by the fellow Local Guides. May be you'll find something for your next trip to Singapore.

Due to the volume of private messages Google Moderators receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!
Level 8

Thanks @MashaPS for your kind words! Yes I did see @AngieYC's post too. The 3rd choice mentioned, Hai Di Lao, is one of my favourite restaurants too! Singapore just has many great food places around 😄

Level 9

@AngieYC, thanks for sharing! Too bad our time in SG didn't overlap but this was one place I really enjoyed. 

The Coconut Club

Nasi LemakNasi Lemak

Apparently they used to be a one Michelin star restaurant for their nasi lemak and I have to say I really enjoyed it. Although, I went with a friend who is a local there and she said it used to be way better!  

Chong Qing Grilled Fish

I also went to a mala fish place as well with some other friends. I'm not much for spicy, so I struggled a bit to eat this, but still really enjoyed this and how fun it is to cook and eat at the same time!

Mala style fishMala style fish

This was actually a really fun experience with my friends and despite the spiciness, it was still evident that the fish is very fresh! ? 

I'm going to have to check out these restaurants here that you have the next time I venture to Singapore! 

Please post publicly so others can benefit as well. I do not have private messages. Thanks!
Level 6

Wow, look like taste is so good

Level 8

Birds of a Feather & The Coconut Club 

these two places are my all time fav. whenever i visit singapore am gong to these places at least once.

Former Google Contributor

Hi @DoriyaKiz,

Thanks for sharing your experience with us. I would definitely try the Wagyu beef as I`m a meat lover. 

Did you know that you can share your review and photo of this place on Google Maps instead? It would be really useful for future customers who are looking for more information about this place before visiting it. 

You can find more information about it in this article Write reviews and add ratings of places, feel free to check it out.

By the way I am going to merge you post to 3 must-try restaurants in Singapore topic as it absolutely fits there.

Due to the volume of private messages Google Moderators receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Google Moderator Thank you!