AngieYC's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Google Moderator

3 must-try restaurants in Singapore

Caption: A photo of a two-section hot pot with mala broth and chicken broth, and assorted toppings (meat, meatballs and vegetables) at Haidilao Hot Pot @313 in Somerset, Singapore. (Local Guide Yiping Chen)Caption: A photo of a two-section hot pot with mala broth and chicken broth, and assorted toppings (meat, meatballs and vegetables) at Haidilao Hot Pot @313 in Somerset, Singapore. (Local Guide Yiping Chen)

I got the chance to visit Singapore two weeks ago. I made a stop there for a few days while on my way to my hometown, Jakarta. I had always known Singapore is a very diverse city in terms of cuisine, so I thought that it would make for the perfect food crawl for a foodie like me.

Here are the three best restaurants I went to.

1. Thye Hong Eateries Pte. Ltd

Do you like the combination of noodles and seafood? If your answer is yes, then the prawn Hokkien mee is a must-try for you. This is a classic meal, which has become a signature dish of Singapore. I could find it everywhere in the city, but in my opinion the best place to try it was at the Thye Hong Eateries Pte. Ltd. restaurant.

Caption: A photo of the prawn Hokkien mee dish from Thye Hong Eateries Pte. Ltd in Somerset, Singapore on a plate. (Local Guide @AngieYC)Caption: A photo of the prawn Hokkien mee dish from Thye Hong Eateries Pte. Ltd in Somerset, Singapore on a plate. (Local Guide @AngieYC)

The prawn Hokkien mee is full of flavor. It’s made of yellow and rice noodles, rich seafood stock, and prawns.

2Kam’s Roast

Even though this is a one Michelin star restaurant, I didn’t have high expectations when I first heard about it. The reason is that the Kam’s Roast’s specialty is roasted duck, a dish so common in Asia.

When we were seated in the restaurant, we received an order card to fill in and give to the waiter. First we ordered a jellyfish—a cold appetizer, also popular in my area. This dish was lightly seasoned with vinegar, soy sauce, sesame oil, and sesame seeds. It felt crunchy while I was chewing it, and that was very refreshing.

Caption: A photo of the jellyfish appetizer with sesame seeds sprinkled on top on a white plate at Kam’s Roast in Singapore.  (Local Guide @AngieYC)Caption: A photo of the jellyfish appetizer with sesame seeds sprinkled on top on a white plate at Kam’s Roast in Singapore. (Local Guide @AngieYC)

Then the star of the evening came out—the special roasted duck. When I saw the sauce underneath the duck, I thought it would make the duck soggy. I couldn’t be more wrong! The duck skin was crispy, the meat was very tender, and the sauce simply completed the whole experience.

Caption: A photo of the roasted duck specialty at Kam’s Roast in Singapore. The meat is cut in big chunks, but still held together, with brownish sauce underneath.  (Local Guide @AngieYC)Caption: A photo of the roasted duck specialty at Kam’s Roast in Singapore. The meat is cut in big chunks, but still held together, with brownish sauce underneath. (Local Guide @AngieYC)3. Haidilao Hot Pot @313

The Haidilao Hot Pot @ 313 restaurant impressed me the most because of its service. When we were seated, the staff welcomed us with hot towels, aprons (so we didn’t stain our clothes), hair ties for the women, and ziplock bags for our phones in case we spilled the soup.

There was a sauce and appetizer bar where we could mix and match the sauces and enjoy a free appetizer while waiting for our order to arrive.

It turned out that this restaurant doesn’t play around when it came to broth selections. We could choose to have a one, two, three, or four-section hot pot with broth of any flavor we wanted. I chose a four-section hot pot with classic chicken broth, pork broth, mala broth, and sour soup broth. There was a great variety of toppings to choose from—anything from meat and fish to vegetables and tofu.

Caption: A photo of the four-section hot pot at Haidilao Hot Pot @313: classic chicken broth, pork broth, mala broth, and sour soup broth, with various toppings, including mushrooms, beef meatballs, fish balls, tofu, beef slices, and vegetables.  (Local Guide @AngieYC)Caption: A photo of the four-section hot pot at Haidilao Hot Pot @313: classic chicken broth, pork broth, mala broth, and sour soup broth, with various toppings, including mushrooms, beef meatballs, fish balls, tofu, beef slices, and vegetables. (Local Guide @AngieYC)

One of the signature things to order at the Haidilao Hot Pot @ 313 was the dancing noodle. There would be a short performance by the noodle maker, dancing around with the noodles among the customers. After the performance, he would cut and put the noodles in your hot pot.

Caption: A photo of two members of the staff at Haidilao Hot Pot @313, dressed in white uniforms, dancing with a long thread of noodles in front of smiling customers. (Local Guide pianized)Caption: A photo of two members of the staff at Haidilao Hot Pot @313, dressed in white uniforms, dancing with a long thread of noodles in front of smiling customers. (Local Guide pianized)

This usually is a pretty packed restaurant and you’ll likely have to wait for a table if you didn’t make a reservation beforehand. But if you think you’d be bored while waiting here, think again. There are free snacks and drinks provided in the waiting area, free manicures, and a kids’ playroom.

What are some of the best restaurants you’ve been to in Singapore? Share in the comments below.

Due to the volume of private messages Google Moderators receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!

Singapore
97 comments
Connect Moderator

Re: 3 must-try restaurants in Singapore

It's been a while since I went to Singapore, but I really like chili crab at Mellben seafood (renamed to Kelly Jie now). I actually asked in the Singapore Local Guides Community on G+ back then, and this was one of the recommendations. I was told this place got busy often, so we went really early when the restaurant just opened and we were the only one there. Safe to say it got crowded shortly after that. The food is a bit pricey, but so delicious. 

chili_crab.jpeg

Connect Moderator

Thank you for sharing @AngieYC and @iyudhi

I want to go to Singapore someday, so I added them to my favorite places on the map!

I know that there are a number of the vegetarian restaurant in Singapore. How are those restaurants?

Level 9

The duck dish looks really appetising!

That's the kind I get for Christmas Day!! Along with ready roasted chicken. 

Somehow I haven't tried Singaporean food but Malaysian and it is my favourite but very expensive in London.

Thank you for your amazing food journey!! Many many Congrats!!

Google Moderator

Hello @iyudhi,

I know that chili crab is also one of the must try food when visiting Singapore, but since I've tried it before. I decided to try something new and these are my top three picks, except the hokkien-mee that is my all time favorite.

Have you tried the hokkien-mee before?

Due to the volume of private messages Google Moderators receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!

Google Moderator

Hello @HiroyukiTakisawa,

Unfortunately, I didn't get the chance to try any vegetarian restaurant but I think @JulienH might give you a better idea about it and when you got the chance to visit Singapore, don't forget to share your experience with us!

Google Moderator

Hello @Kol-Colleen_2018,

Wow, you are very lucky to have such dish for Christmas, does someone from your family member prepared it for you?, and I agree that Asian food in London are expensive. 

Connect Moderator

Thank you @AngieYC

I will definitely do it 😉 

Hi,  @JulienH! When I go to your country, of course, I'll contact you. 

Please let us know several you and your wife's recommended restaurants!

Regards:-)

Google Moderator

Hello @HiroyukiTakisawa,

If you and @JulienH will do vegetarian food, food crawl and I think it will be informative for the other Local Guides who are also vegetarian. But Japanese ramen (Ichiran) are still my all time favorite. 🙂

Level 9

Hi @AngieYC

I buy the duck from a restaurant in Soho, London.

It's very difficult to roast! A relative did a duck roast very well, in the past!

I feel like having pancakes with roasted duck!!

👍