JanVanHaver's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Connect Moderator

2nd European Meet-up (Ghent, Belgium)

2nd European Meet-up - Participations confirmed from 🇷🇺 🇮🇹 🇺🇦 🇧🇪 🇩🇪 🇵🇸 🇬🇧 🇸🇪2nd European Meet-up post.jpg

Woodrow Wilsonplein

Woodrow Wilsonplein, 9000 Gent, Belgium

June 07, 2019 @ 18:00 (CEST)

#euromeetup19

In September 2018, the very first European Meet-up took place in Krakow (Poland), bringing together Local Guides from 6 different countries. In June 2019 the 2nd European Meet-up will be held in Ghent (Belgium), and we hope to see Local Guides from even more countries there! Just to make things clear: also non-European Local Guides who happen to be in the area at that time are more than welcome.

PROGRAM HIGHLIGHTS

The event will last for several days, but everyone is free to join as much or as little as (s)he wants. Here's an overview of the highlights (more details will be added as the date gets closer):

Friday, June 7th (6:00 PM): We meet at the Woodrow Wilson Square at 6 PM for a Food Crawl in Ghent to get a first glimpse of the city and get to know the fellow Local Guides.

We will have dinner at Basta Resto, and they are sponsoring this meet-up. They'll be providing a coffee for us all to enjoy. They understand that none of us is promising contributions of any kind to the business in exchange for sponsoring the meet-up.

After dinner we close the day at the Trappistenhuis, where we can taste some of the world renowned belgian beers.

Saturday, June 8th:

• Ghent: Photo Walk
  • 9:30 AM Ghent Altarpiece ("Adoration of the Mystic Lamb") - one of the most influential paintings ever made
  • 11:30 AM Castle of the Counts - a 12th century castle with a renowned museum of torture devices)
  • 3:00 PM Boat trip on the waterways in the city center

At 19:00 we will have dinner at a restaurant in the city center offering some local specialties: Amadeus.

Sunday, June 9th:

Dinner will be at Pizzeria Baibilonia at 6:00 PM

Monday, June 10th:

• visit the BRU city that most Meet-up participants vote for: Bruges or Brussels
  • help me celebrate my birthday

TRAVEL TIPS

Travel and hotel arrangements need to be organized and paid for by yourself, but I will gladly assist wherever I can. The nearest airports are Brussels (BRU) and Charleroi (CRL). From Brussels Airport, the easiest way to get to Ghent is by train, as there is a direct connection (every 30 minutes or so, until 10 PM). The rides takes less than an hour and costs 18 EUR.

As there are some short trips to be made during the meet-up (1 hour drive from airport to Ghent / 1 hour drive from Ghent to Ieper on Sunday), I will look into the possibilities of arranging/coordinating ways to make it as smooth as possible for all participants (which will largely depend on the number of participants - only 4 can join in my car 😀).

If you have any remaining questions, just post them as a comment here or send me a private message.

And of course: please help sharing this information om your social media accounts - and don't forget to add #euromeetup19 and #letsguide !

Photo: Beeldbank Stad Gent

European Flag Icon: Nordic Factory

RSVP here

Check out LetsGuide Podcast | #LGCTM | Please always @Mention me so I see your reply
Woodrow Wilsonplein, 9000 Gent, Belgium
99 comments
Former Google Contributor

Re: 2nd European Meet-up - Ghent

Oh @JanVanHaver,

This is great! 

This meet-up will be amazing. The agenda is very interesting, and I am sure your birthday will be celebrated appropriately!

Due to the volume of private messages Google Moderators receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!
Level 8

Re: 2nd European Meet-up (Ghent, Belgium)

Great , best of luck for your meetup @JanVanHaver. Have a great time. Will be waiting for your meetup recap.

Namaste

Niraj

Level 9

It is great idea to organize Meet -Up in Belgium @JanVanHaver !

I would like to join!

I have never been in Belgium. 

The schedule of this event -interesting!

And you have  a birthday on the  10th of June--it is great!

Cheers,

Inga

Connect Moderator

@JanVanHaver, FANTASTIC!

I hope I will manage to come, as I only some weeks before this date will takeover a new role in a new company.

I havn't been to Ghent yet, but "only" to Brussel and Antwerpen. Except of the beer (no clue why you call it in tnis way) all was fantastic 😉

So, in fact, I will do all possible to join you at least Saturday and Sunday. @LudwigGermany @barrazacarlos : Are you read ??? 😉

(For all who do not know the relation between Belgium and Germany: The comment about the excellent belgian beer is a joke. We only like this kind of joke, because both of us know, that only Czech beer is the real beer 😉 )

https://goo.gl/maps/6ascMbAtC6r
Connect Moderator

This is awesome @JanVanHaver! Glad to see there will be a second annual Local Guides European Meetup!  And you already have two Local Gudes @helga19 and @TorM from last year already interested in attending!

Can’t wait to see who else will be joining you for this and to be with you on your birthday.

Cheers,

Karen

Level 10

@JanVanHaver AWESOME!!!! I hope I can join 2 European Meet-up! Thanks!

Connect Moderator

@TorM @helga19 @NatalkaR it would be great if you could attend - I already look forward to seeing you again! Perhaps we could create a Euro-Summit-Expert badge for those who attend them all 🤣

Check out LetsGuide Podcast | #LGCTM | Please always @Mention me so I see your reply
Connect Moderator

@JanVanHaver That's great - I put it on my calendar!

Please mention me with @LudwigGermany on your reply, so I get notified

Connect Moderator   Maps   Instagram   Twitter 

Connect Moderator

Booked, @JanVanHaver

this is simply great. I have never been in Belgium too, you are giving me a good opportunity to learn more, and the program sounds more than interesting.

Well done, Jan