Tosan's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 8

14 days in Tanzania

I was really excited i was going to Tanzania, I quickly googled the weather (wasn't going to be caught with the wrong clothes this time), people and places of interest and i got captivated by pictures of Zanibar and Kilimanjaro. I was going to have an opportunity to visit the tallest mountain in Africa and swim in the pristine waters of Zanzibar. All the excitement got drained out when I got my travel details, I will be spending 4 days in Dar es Salaam and 10 days in Mtwara, schedule was sooooo packed. 

Sunset in Dar es Salaam, one of the best shots of my armature photography careerSunset in Dar es Salaam, one of the best shots of my armature photography career

I tried to make the best with the little time I and made some friends, spending my evenings holed up in my hotel room was out of the question. Tanzanians are really great people and fun to be with. Most people speak Swahili, English is the second language, don't be shocked if you meet someone that doesn't understand English. Octopuses are a serious delicacy, even sold at street corners, I had to try the octopus soup (pweza) they say its good for guys, I couldn't verify that claim though. The staple food is ugali, made from maize similar to the Nigerian Semo. The sight of grilled plantain called ndizi-nyama (known as bole in Nigeria) gave me joy, it was served with grilled meat not fish as it was done back home. Chapati is also common, I believe because of the influence of the huge Indian and Lebanese population most of who now call Tanzania their home country. 

Places of interest

I wasn't able to visit Zanzibar or Kilimanjaro, but there are other places. I would recommend Slipway bar for anyone visiting Dar es Salaam, the atmosphere is lively with great ambiance, one of the best live bands I've listened to performs there, entertaining guests in the evenings. Located on a pier, its a great place to watch the sun set. Coco beach is the other hot spot I was able to visit, had my first taste of crushed sugarcane juice there. 

sugarcane & coconut juice at Coco Beachsugarcane & coconut juice at Coco Beachrice and chickenrice and chickenmixed fruit saladmixed fruit saladmashed potatoesmashed potatoesstreet food at Coco beachstreet food at Coco beachgrilled ripe plantain and fishgrilled ripe plantain and fishchips and fishchips and fishoctopus and squids at street corneroctopus and squids at street corner

Old Boma is a must visit in Mtwara, it is a well maintained historical site in Mikindani area. The story of Old Boma is from the dark era of slave trade, it is currently used an hotel. Few feet from Old Boma is Dr. Livingstone's house built in 1866.   

Old Boma, Built in 1895Old Boma, Built in 1895Pool at Old BomaPool at Old BomaOld Boma interior, the red patch is a trap door to a tunnel that leads to the  beachOld Boma interior, the red patch is a trap door to a tunnel that leads to the beachOld Boma interior, the black metal ball is used to test the strength of slaves, the ball should weigh around 70kgOld Boma interior, the black metal ball is used to test the strength of slaves, the ball should weigh around 70kgDr. Livingstone's residenceDr. Livingstone's residencelandscape photo of  Mikindani, showing  Old Boma and  Dr. Livingstone's residencelandscape photo of Mikindani, showing Old Boma and Dr. Livingstone's residence

Tips

1. Tourist Visa is $50 (valid for 6 months) you need to show evidence of hotel booking, business visa $250
  2. Change your money in a bureau de change or bank
  3. Keep your cash in the hotel safe
Tosan Clarke
Dar es Salaam, Tanzania
22 comments
Level 8

14 days in Tanzania

I was really excited i was going to Tanzania, I quickly googled the weather (wasn't going to be caught with the wrong clothes this time), people and places of interest and i got captivated by pictures of Zanibar and Kilimanjaro. I was going to have an opportunity to visit the tallest mountain in Africa and swim in the pristine waters of Zanzibar. All the excitement got drained out when I got my travel details, I will be spending 4 days in Dar es Salaam and 10 days in Mtwara, schedule was sooooo packed. 

I tried to make the best with the little time I and made some friends, spending my evenings holed up in my hotel room was out of the question. Tanzanians are really great people and fun to be with. Most people speak Swahili, English is the second language, don't be shocked if you meet someone that doesn't understand English. Octopuses are a serious delicacy, even sold at street corners, I had to try the octopus soup (pweza) they say it boost male libido, I couldn't verify that claim though. The staple food is ugali, made from maize similar to the Nigerian Semo. The sight of grilled plantain called ndizi-nyama (known as bole in Nigeria) gave me joy, it was served with grilled meat not fish as it was done back home. Chapati is also common, I believe because of the influence of the huge Indian and Lebanese population most of who now call Tanzania their home country. 

Places of interest

I wasn't able to visit Zanzibar or Kilimanjaro, but there are other places. I would recommend Slipway bar for anyone visiting Dar es Salaam, the atmosphere is lively with great ambiance, one of the best live bands I've listened to performs there, entertaining guests in the evenings. Located on a pier, its a great place to watch the sun set. Coco beach is the other hot spot I was able to visit, had my first taste of crushed sugarcane juice there. Old Boma is a must visit in Mtwara, it is a well maintained historical site in Mikindani area. The story of Old Boma is from the dark era of slave trade, it is currently used an hotel. Few feet from Old Boma is Dr. Livingstone's house built in 1866.   

Tips

1. Tourist Visa is $50 (valid for 6 months) you need to show evidence of hotel booking, business visa $250
  2. Change your money in a bureau de change or bank
  3. Keep your cash in the hotel safe

"the twin towers of Dar" at sunset"the twin towers of Dar" at sunsetI call the buildings "the twin towers of Dar"I call the buildings "the twin towers of Dar"inside Old Boma, the strength of slaves are tested by asking them to lift the black metal ball  on the rightinside Old Boma, the strength of slaves are tested by asking them to lift the black metal ball on the rightSugarcane juice and coconut drink at Coco beachSugarcane juice and coconut drink at Coco beachDr. Livingstone residence at MikindaniDr. Livingstone residence at MikindaniLandscape shot of  Old Boma and MikindaniLandscape shot of Old Boma and MikindaniInside Old Boma, the red hatch on the floor is the entrance of a tunnel that leads to the beachInside Old Boma, the red hatch on the floor is the entrance of a tunnel that leads to the beachOld Boma poolOld Boma pool 

Tosan Clarke
Former Google Contributor

Re: 14 days in Tanzania

Hi @Tosan,

Your trip looks like it was a lot of fun! It is easy to navigate in Tanzania? What could you recommend for first time visitors? What was your favorite thing about this trip? 

Due to the volume of private messages Google Moderators receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!

Level 8

@DanniS yes it was lots of fun, google maps was very helpful, I walked from my hotel in City Center to the ferry using google maps, Dar es Salaam is easy to navigate. I cant say the same for Mtwara though. For first time visitors I would advise them to be careful where you change your money, use a proper bureau de change, my colleague dollars was swapped with fakes, so i would advise to use the hotel safe. 

Tosan Clarke

Thanks for the tips @Tosan. One needs to always be careful no matter the place, but it's good to be prepared beforehand. How was the food? It seems very delicious and not too different. I'm keen to try new things, but a bit worried with my sensitive stomach. 

Due to the volume of private messages Google Moderators receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!

Level 8

@DanniS the food is good, just be sure the environment is healthy. I have a strong stomach so I'm more adventurous.  

Tosan Clarke

Thanks @Tosan! I'll be sure to prepare myself. Thanks a lot for your tips, they are much appreciated! 

Level 8

Great post @Tosan

I planned embarking on a tour on East African countries notably known for their wildlife /Nature parks  and Game reserves like Tanzania, Kenya and Rwanda later next year. Your help will really come in handy. 

Trust your had fun. 

Level 8

@Idemudia its fun to visit, a friend did a road trip from Zambia to Tanzania and their bus was held up for about an hour by a pride of lions that fell asleep on the road, they had to wait till woke and walked away.

Tosan Clarke

Hi @Tosan,

Amazing, thanks for sharing this with us! Glad to hear you made the best of your trip. I will be adding Dar es Salaam to my list, for sure. The food looks awesome! I tried ugali (or pap) on my last trip and I actually grew up with it. I love it, but it's not great for the waistline, though!😊 

My favorite place to visit in Tanzania is:

The Maasai people of Olpopongi Cultural Village - a beautifully authentic experience that I would recommend to everyone looking to visit.  

@Idemudia, be sure to add this to your list for Tanzania.