IlankovanT's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 9

12 Tips for a Successful Hangout

If you are a community moderator who is willing to host meet-ups or hangouts to share your knowledge, here are some really important points that should be taken into account.

Untitled-1.jpg

1. Know your audience

It is very crucial to know who are the audience of your hangout. Their level of knowledge and competence is essential to decide what and how are you going to deliver the information. For instance, if the target group is new to the  local guides program or Google maps; you will have to explain them starting from the very basics. For example, the benefits of being a local guide, points, levels, and badging, how to add, edit places, write reviews and adding photos. If the target group already has the basic knowledge on LG program and its benefits; you will have to explain the deeper and more complicated facts.

2. Gather natives

It is preferable to gather local people while organizing a knowledge sharing session. Because they are the ones, who know all the bits and pieces about places. More inputs can be gained from the locals than outsiders.

3. Educational presentation

An educational presentation has been shared on the Meet-up website by Google moderators. This will be a useful prop to organize the knowledge sharing session. It's also recommended to have it translated into local languages. For instance, I am using a Tamil presentation for the people in Batticaloa city.

4. The importance of the local language

It is preferable to make sure all the props used in the knowledge sharing session is translated into a local language. Especially, the presentations, the language used to communicate verbally and any leaflets used should be in the local language.

5. A good start

Gatherings may consist of people with different knowledge levels, different backgrounds, different moods. In such scenario, a good ice breaker will grab everyone's attention before starting the knowledge sharing session. This will also help the team get together and harmonize with each other.

6. Revise the basics

In order to normalize information gaps, revise the basic practices such as adding photos, writing reviews and adding places in each session. Because there can be a new face in each group. When the session starts with deeper issues, the new ones may feel inferior. Therefore it's essential to start with the basics.

7. Hands on experience

I prefer to explain with mobile devices. Normally when I explain them, I would like to let them experience what I say at that moment itself. For example, if I'm explaining about adding a new place or write a review, I ask them to do the same on their mobile device at the same time. Because a hands-on experience is what stays longer in mind.

8. Reward them with more knowledge

There will always be one or more outstanding enthusiasts among the crowd. Such people can be filtered out of the crowd and as a reward they can be taught with a level-up information. For instance, if one or more persons out of the crowd perform well and grab the things quicker than others, you can teach them something new for the day. For example, if it's a session to teach photography techniques, you can teach them how to take 360 photos and add to street view as a reward for their enthusiasm.

9. Communication and follow ups

Post hangout follow-up is essential to achieve the outcomes completely. After completing the knowledge sharing session, the participants can be added into hangouts and group chats to keep in touch. Group chats and hangouts facilitate sharing knowledge and clearing doubts in a daily basis.

10. Overcoming geographic barriers

At times people may not be able to attend meet ups in person due to long distance and busy schedules. In such cases, Hangouts will help everyone participate including people who reside overseas.

11. Complicated questions

When the host doesn't know a clear answer to any question raised by the audience, it's recommended to connect them with expert moderators. The simple option is LG connect. Get them introduced to LG connect and raise the question; so that Google moderators, LG Connect moderators or connect users can answer their questions.

12. Getting updated with new features

The host or the moderator should be aware of the new features being introduced to Google maps to share with the audience. Getting to know something new urges them to use such features while using Google maps.

By following these simple tips you can become a better host! Meanwhile, the expected outcome of your knowledge sharing sessions can be obtained deftly.
These are based on my personal experience of sharing knowledge, hosting meetups and hangouts. I would appreciate if someone could add more tips that I might have missed. So that this will become a rich thread that helps our moderators host successful hangouts.

Knowledge sharing Image credit: Kaleo Software

Sri Lanka
3 comments
Level 2

Re: 12 Tips for a Successful Hangout

Good Tips 

Googler

Thanks for sharing, @IlankovanT! I know Local Guides have hosted Hangouts in the past to share about the program as well as to share about their local areas. I think it's a great way to get to know one another no matter where you live! 

Note: Due to the volume of private messages Googlers receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!.
Level 9

Yeh @TraciC Hangouts are the most suitable way to get communicate with local guides overcoming the geographical barriers. also I'm hosting monthly Hangouts in Sri Lanka with the participation of local guides from various parts of the country.