annaroth's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Googler

10 things we tasted at Connect Live 2018

It’s a tradition at Connect Live for attendees to bring foods and other small items from their hometowns to share with fellow Local Guides. With 151 attendees from 59 countries, we had quite a spread at the Connect Live Opening Reception on Tuesday evening.

Here are some of the treats that we came across, which were not only all delicious, but also taught us a little more about the wide range of places that our Local Guides call home.

1. Potato sticks flavored with salted duck egg are “all the rage” in Singapore right now, says Local Guide Sarah. They were salty, crunchy, and totally addictive.

Caption: A photo of Local Guide Sarah holding up potato sticks flavored with salted duck egg at Connect Live 2018.Caption: A photo of Local Guide Sarah holding up potato sticks flavored with salted duck egg at Connect Live 2018.

2. Local Guide Penny brought a whole bag of goodies from Sydney, Australia, including a Cadbury caramel chocolate koala, chewy peppermint Allen’s Minties, and a little tub of that famous Australian spread, Vegemite.

Caption: A photo of several items on a wooden table including a Cadbury caramel chocolate koala, two chewy peppermint Allen’s Minties, a mini tub of Vegemite, a small stuffed koala, and a photo of the Sydney Opera House.Caption: A photo of several items on a wooden table including a Cadbury caramel chocolate koala, two chewy peppermint Allen’s Minties, a mini tub of Vegemite, a small stuffed koala, and a photo of the Sydney Opera House.3. Local Guides Tsai-Ling and Aaron made the rounds handing out pineapple cakes from Taiwan, a famous local pastry and popular gift.

Caption: A photo of a box full of packaged pineapple cakes from Taiwan.Caption: A photo of a box full of packaged pineapple cakes from Taiwan.4. Local Guide Courtney, brought wrapped dates from Dubai, which she says are a very traditional snack to share in the United Arab Emirates, especially to break fast at Ramadan.

Caption: A photo of two wrapped dates from Dubai.Caption: A photo of two wrapped dates from Dubai.5. Local Guide Gabriela brought cuñapé from Bolivia, traditional baked cheese balls.

Caption: A photo of Local Guide Gabriela holding up two bags of cuñapé, traditional baked cheese balls from Bolivia, at Connect Live 2018.Caption: A photo of Local Guide Gabriela holding up two bags of cuñapé, traditional baked cheese balls from Bolivia, at Connect Live 2018.6. It wasn’t hard for Local Guide Michael to decide what to bring. He lives in Zurich, and Swiss chocolate is always a crowd-pleaser.

Caption: A photo of Local Guide Michael holding up a small polaroid and a box of Swiss chocolates packaged in different colored wrappings at Connect Live 2018.Caption: A photo of Local Guide Michael holding up a small polaroid and a box of Swiss chocolates packaged in different colored wrappings at Connect Live 2018.7. Local Guide Anthony, a food blogger in Beirut, made his own snacks to share with fellow Local Guides: mini-versions of Lebanese rolled flatbread baked with za’atar, a local spice blend.

Caption: A photo of Local Guide Anthony’s homemade oven baked thyme and sesame seed rolls in clear plastic packaging with a label that says, “A small taste of my country Lebanon.”Caption: A photo of Local Guide Anthony’s homemade oven baked thyme and sesame seed rolls in clear plastic packaging with a label that says, “A small taste of my country Lebanon.”8. Local Guide Anzu, who also attended our Connect Live event in Tokyo earlier this year, brought green tea KitKats from Japan—the Otona no Amasa matcha variety, which are darker and slightly more bitter than the more common light matcha flavor.

Caption: A photo of Local Guide Anzu holding up a bag of Otona no Amasa matcha flavored KitKats at Connect Live 2018.Caption: A photo of Local Guide Anzu holding up a bag of Otona no Amasa matcha flavored KitKats at Connect Live 2018.9. Local Guide Hiroyuki, also from Japan, handed out kuri shigare, a Japanese sweet treat made from chestnuts.

Caption: A photo of Local Guide Hiroyuki holding up a bag of kuri shigare, a Japanese sweet treat made from chestnuts, at Connect Live 2018.Caption: A photo of Local Guide Hiroyuki holding up a bag of kuri shigare, a Japanese sweet treat made from chestnuts, at Connect Live 2018.10. Local Guide Nataliya sweetened up the summit with a selection of candies from the Ukraine.

Caption: A photo of three wrapped candies on top of a sticker of the Ukrainian flag and trident.Caption: A photo of three wrapped candies on top of a sticker of the Ukrainian flag and trident.If you brought something and we didn’t see it, leave a photo and short explanation in the comments below or come find me on Thursday and we’ll add to this post.

21 comments
Level 10

Re: 10 things we tasted at Connect Live 2018

Level 8

@annaroth thank you for sharing...

Level 9

yummy yummy @annaroth i want to try all of them :)))

great choice @NoGarlicNoOnions زعتر :))))

Connect Moderator

Yes this is amazing @annaroth

I am here on the bus, close to Penny, I I can say that we tested more and more

Level 9

I missed the chance to taste @ErmesT 

Thank you @annaroth for sharing the post with us,

Level 8

Awww such a nice gesture by fellow local guides 🙂 

Level 10

Local guides - best  food and places experts

Level 9

Wow delicious items @annaroth thank you for sharing with us...

Level 10

Oh my god, What a delicious post, I can't wait for tasting them 😋

This is so good tradition and make us closer. Thanks for organizing and sharing.

Amir | Join us on IranLocalGuides