RussellR's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 9

"Know This Place?" Clarity on Questions

Umm... What's your definition of late at night, Google?Umm... What's your definition of late at night, Google?

FYI, I have already submitted this idea through the Google Maps app. But if you find this idea helpful I encourage you to submit it there as well. Maybe with enough suggestions they will make these changes.

Have you ever attempted to answer those questions on the "Know This Place?" pop-up and wondered what Google meant by "late at night", "inexpensive", or it asked you a term that you've never heard of before like "tarpaulin" (which I have seen)?

Well you are not alone, and for good reason.

Look, I'm sure we all understand the general idea of what the term "late at night" might mean. But one man's midnight may be another man's 9pm. And what I'd really like to know is what Google thinks that term means to them.

Also, what does inexpensive mean? Inexpensive to all places? Inexpensive to similar restaurants? With vague questions like these I really just don't know.

"But Russ, they have that "Tell Us More" button below the question." I can hear you say, but have you ever clicked that link/button before?  Well here is what you get:

20180225_124544-COLLAGE.jpg

Yeah, I don't know how two of those options even applies to that question, but that's how it is right now, so here is my suggestion.

First, could we have a icon like this ℹ️ on the question card so I can understand what Google thinks terms like "good views", "inexpensive", or "late at night" means to them. Also, please use this to also define words like "tarpaulin".

Second, I'd love to have either multiple options, a slider, or even a blank text box for some of those vague questions.

It's really difficult to simply say yes or no to a place that has two types of tea and you're asking me if they have "good tea options".

So, in the end, I'm just asking for a little more clarity on these questions so me and other Local Guides/users can provide better information.

What do you think? Have you ever been asked a question on Google Maps that you didn't quite understand? Do you have a better suggestion? Please tell me in the comments below.

3 comments
Level 8

Re: "Know This Place?" Clarity on Questions

@RussellR

"Second, I'd love to have either multiple options, a slider, or even a blank text box for some of those vague questions."

I had asked about a txt bx in conversation also.  I agree with you but difficult to implement.  It is a question of security and possible spam.

Level 9

@VBenedict Yeah, maybe not the text box then.

But maybe one of those drop down boxes instead?

Level 8

@RussellR

They are getting better.  I think that they are very good at listening.  The best method is the agile way... build fast, test, and if it does not work throw it away.

We need to be patient.  @BruceDM recommended that when ambiguity strikes say "Not Sure" made sense to me.