Sammosk's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 7

e-bikes

with e-bikes on a rise, I find that very limited resources and knowledge is out there, as in many states it's a gray area, and therefore limited maps and apps in general pretending e-bikes, I would like to help change that by first starting with bringing this to the attention of others as this is part of the future.

Thanks for giving me the opportunity 

NYC, NY, United States
4 comments

Accepted Solutions
Googler
Solution

Re: e-bikes

Hi @Sammosk. I must admit, I had to look up what e-bikes were as I wasn't sure if they were electric bikes or a name for ridesharing services like CitiBike here in NYC. What is it about e-bikes that you would like to see on Google Maps or related to Local Guides? I'd love to learn more. 

Note: Due to the volume of private messages Googlers receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!.

View solution in original post

Googler
Solution

Hi @Sammosk. I must admit, I had to look up what e-bikes were as I wasn't sure if they were electric bikes or a name for ridesharing services like CitiBike here in NYC. What is it about e-bikes that you would like to see on Google Maps or related to Local Guides? I'd love to learn more. 

Note: Due to the volume of private messages Googlers receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!.
Level 7

the issue of e-bikes is that federal highway administration classifies a vehicle something over 750W and rides faster 25 MPH as a vehicle, of which e-bikes aren't classified therefore the dmv would not redster them, however the city of ny for example after an accident between a restaurant e-bike delivery boy banned e-bikes off the street, as long it has a motor no matter if its just a low powered motor, in the meantime as technology keeps making head way a new area of e-bikes has arisen that is a pedal assist bike basicly its like the same old bike just with a low powered motor to give the rider an extra oomph as he rids, which made it became widely popular among students and seniors, for students with small apartments and low cost to ride, and for seniors just being able to ride without getting in their way of health.  

my suggestion is if for example we can have e-bikes in a different category with in google maps, may help to avoid colliding and

@TraciC wrote:

make it safer for riders and pedestrian may pave a way to make e-bikes legal in the cities.

once again thank you for giving this issue a voice.

Level 7

e-bikes

with e-bikes on a rise, I find that very limited resources and knowledge is out there, as in many states it's a gray area, and therefore limited maps and apps in general pretending e-bikes, I would like to help change that by first starting with bringing this to the attention of others as this is part of the future.

the issue of e-bikes is that federal highway administration classifies a vehicle something over 750W and rides faster 25 MPH as a vehicle, of which e-bikes aren't classified therefore the dmv would not redster them, however the city of ny for example after an accident between a restaurant e-bike delivery boy banned e-bikes off the street, as long it has a motor no matter if its just a low powered motor, in the meantime as technology keeps making head way a new area of e-bikes has arisen that is a pedal assist bike basicly its like the same old bike just with a low powered motor to give the rider an extra oomph as he rids, which made it became widely popular among students and seniors, for students with small apartments and low cost to ride, and for seniors just being able to ride without getting in their way of health.  

my suggestion is if for example we can have e-bikes in a different category with in google maps, may help to avoid colliding and make it safer for riders and pedestrian may pave a way to make e-bikes legal in the cities.

once again thank you for giving this issue a voiceC1-XhE9W8AA-vw8.jpg

@bitterlemon411 wrote:

Thanks for giving me the opportunity 

Level 1

Hi samm,

I myself is a user of a three wheeled e bike. I am using my trike going to the office and back home also doing some errands during weekends like going to the market or supermarket nearby our village. I find it very useful and  cost efficient.

You are right it would be helpful if google map would give us suggestion which route is best for us to go and which route is not permitted for us as well. Because as of the moment you can only see the route and how many minutes approximately you will travel a certain place if you go by bus or PUV or by your car. It would be nice if they would include the bicycle or e bikes on the listing they have. 

Though there are groups being organized by user of this ebike but still the idea of having it on the main road is not yet accepted by the public because of the many issues it is still facing at this time like not being registered as the PUV's and other vehicles in the road. Though it is still the booming industry at the moment for it will become the future as TESLA has been in the market now.