AmberHine's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 6

Yet another post about perks, but also neutrality, with a perk suggestion.

Once again I am someone irritated by the loss of storage space for essentially providing content for google. Obviously this is a perk relevant to the 'work' being done by people when we contribute to google maps or it would not have been offered in the first place. Doesn't mean that the people contributing who are dismayed at the lack of this perk aren't also happy to help their fellow humans by providing the information in the first place.

Yes I know about the 3 month trial with google play - I also happen to have come across the 3 months free New York Times membership in certain countries- more on that in a minute.

It occurs to me, and no doubt many others that by providing photos and such media that google can share as their 'own', that we often take many photos to get one worth sharing- at which point we clog up our phones or devices to facilitate google's hunger for knowledge. Suggesting that I go through and delete all the others shows a lack of respect for my time that I have already given over to google in providing this info in the first place, and my intelligence.

Suggestion: A purely image/media based storage solution (I believe dropbox have one) for those posting photos to google maps, perhaps level based or (though I suspect harder to achieve) based on the number of photos posted by the user to google maps.

Concern: As a side note re perks, it concerns me that google have seemingly aligned themselves so directly with a singular news outlet (New York Times). It is my understanding that google, on the surface at least, try to remain neutral. If neutrality is the aim I would have expected either a few options or simply none at all when it comes to journalism, something not known in recent times (perhaps ever) for its neutrality or bias-free ethos.

UK
1 comment
Level 8

Re: Yet another post about perks, but also neutrality, with a perk suggestion.

Hi @AmberHine

I think your observation about the New York Times perk is a valid one. 

Personally, I do not see your Local Guide perk suggestion related to data storage as a perk. When using my phone carrier's phone app, all data transfer using that app does not eat into my monthly allowance that I pay for. The same should be the case with Google. All data that sits in our Google cloud storage that is directly linked to our contributions on Maps should not count towards our allowance (paid or unpaid).

Happy mapping, JeroenM