vipinsri's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 8

Why we need to share only relevant posts in Google Maps

NAMASTE (Hello!) Friends, My name is Vipin Srivastava, from New Delhi, India. I first contributed to Google Earth in early 2000, I found it very interesting looking at the satelite images where I live. I added my housing society on Google earth & whenever someone located the address on it I felt proud to be part of Google community. In 2017 I actively started contributing to Google Maps with relevant data for better user experience. I also started reporting irrelevant/abusive content as I as local guide felt that its my duty to clean up the mess.

I also noticed that there were many local guides at level 7 or above who were just uploading everything and anything on Maps. I raised this in local guidepost. After some time I saw Google changing its points policy, Guides were encouraged to be more specific and share detailed descriptions. I felt that MAY BE my suggestion were also considered (lol).

Since I always tried contributing relevant stuff, my 720 (as on today) photos achieved 2.4m views on Google Map.

Why Im insisting on sharing relevant material only is because, Today, the entire world trust and uses Google Map. Somewhere we (Local Guides) are contributing towards the society and it becomes our moral duty to share precise information. By sharing these details we are helping millions in reaching there destination. taking perfect decisions, Saving on Gas/Petrol and their time. At least I've already helped 2.44m people 🙂

There are features, like wheelchair access, I'm also working towards reporting Sr. Citizen & differently abled friendly places. As I feel there are many places in India where these citizens find it very difficult to reach without any support.

I wish I can be selected for #CONNECTLIVE this year to learn from like-minded people.

New Delhi, Delhi, India
1 comment
Level 9

Re: Why we need to share only relevant posts in Google Maps

Hi @vipinsri,

First of all, welcome to Local Guides Connect. I admire your enthusiasm and dedication to help Maps users across the globe. Keep up great work. Since you are a new member of Connect community, I suggest to check out information below:

Additionally I suggest to see About Local Guides category where you can see many posts from Google Employees and learn more about the program itself. To connect with other local guides see this category. Once again, welcome to the community, nice to have you onboard. See ya around. 😊

Best,

Johnny..