OmegaGlops's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 5

Whole slew of edits Not Applied!

Hey there, Google Local Guides!

I just made a lot of edits to the stores at the mall that I work at, because Google Maps has LOADS of incorrect phone numbers, suite numbers, websites, and whatnot for the shops here - but after submitting them, none of them were applied except for the edits I made to the hot dog stand and the pretzel shop. What gives? It acknowledged that the Wetzel's Pretzels was not inside of a Lucky Brand store, but refuses to accept that we don't have a Christopher & Banks in the middle of our food court seating for whatever reason, despite me dragging the marker to the correct suite that was being displayed as vacant. Christopher & Banks does not sell sweater vests with a side of fries, Google!

How do I get these edits approved, and who in their right mind would deny them? As it stands, the map is laughably incorrect right now.

5 comments
Level 10

Re: Whole slew of edits Not Applied!

Hey @OmegaGlops!

First of all, I appreciate your dedication to creating an accurate Google Maps for your local community.

Your situation is not felt alone, there's a whole group of us dedicated mappers with the bulk of our edits being unreasonably not applied. One of Google's community moderators have posted the following:

@GusMoreira wrote:

"...a recent update of our algorithms has caused us to disproportionately deny mapping contributions from some of our most active contributors, many of whom are Local Guides...and our team is actively working on fixing this issue."

Right now, many (but not all) simple edits aren't being processed or even sent for review to the Google team for manual intervention. I'm not sure when a fix will be implemented or rolled out, but eventually it'll be soon. What do we do now? You can keep your edits to the side, and when we receive news that the algorithms have been tweaked or fixed, you can continue making those edits. Or you can attempt to do the edits, but risk the slew of 'not applied' edits you've been facing.

I know a store in Sydney that sells sneakers with a side of delicious chicken burgers and chips though! But a sweater vest might be nice.

Oh oh, also welcome to Local Guides Connect! I believe this is your first post, so thanks for reaching out to us. You can choose to introduce yourself, participate in various discussions and make friends here.

Cheers!

Level 10

Hi @OmegaGlops actually we are experiencing some mass update denials on maps, please read this post from @GusMoreira https://www.localguidesconnect.com/t5/Feedback-and-Feature-Requests/Forever-Not-Applied/m-p/546337/h...

As your is a Business issue, I suggest you to propose the management to put the shops on Google MyBusiness: is free, and you will have the opportunity to full manage your presence in maps: https://business.google.com/

Level 5

Thanks for the replies and greetings, everyone! Now I'm in the know that this sounds like a technical issue and not someone with a vendetta against corrections.

Just a quick question though, in regards to the asking management thing - how exactly does that work for big international chains? From my understanding, that business page thing is more for small independent ma and pa businesses, but the stores here are all big brand names like Gap, Coach, and etc. Just from my personal experience at the store that I work at for example, our location has a Facebook page, but nobody (not even the store manager) has any access to any administrative functions - that's all managed on a corporate level either by peeps in New York or Paris or whatever. I would imagine nobody in our store would technically even have the authority to manage a Google Maps page, because it's not really 'My' business.

Would it make more sense to contact the management of the mall itself? Would they be able to relocate the stores on the map? Or would they not be able to do that either, because each and every store in the mall is technically its own independent business?

Level 10

@OmegaGlops wrote:

Now I'm in the know that this sounds like a technical issue and not someone with a vendetta against corrections.

Hehe.

For businesses/agencies/franchises that have multiple locations, they are usually centrally managed by their digital assets team (or whatever vivid name they like to give themselves). The information that they have are listed in a database, in which Google loads and refreshes periodically. Many times it's possible that one of their flagship stores might not be claimed as it may have been manually added to the map by a user, so some slip through the cracks.

I'm not exactly sure if the mall management would be able to help either, my local shopping mall admin only manages their Westfield listing and that's it. Theoretically speaking, the big brand store would work with the mall management to have their listing verified and placed correctly on the map. The big brand stores would be managed as you've said on a corporate level. Claimed businesses are not fully 'locked into' their locations or map markers, so I can only either suggest attempting again, or in the future when rejections are less prevalent.

Connect Moderator

Hola @OmegaGlops, gracias por la paciencia, dos temas a tener en cuenta, usted cómo cuenta corporativa o gran negocio tiene que participar en My Business, allí le podrán dar soporte sobre las consultas que tiene sobre cómo administrarán grandes cuentas en Google Maps, por otro lado le comparto las Reglas del programa Local Guides, por tal motivo le sugiero que se dé de baja o cambie su cuenta por una personal.

Con respecto a las modificaciones y aprobaciones, está en proceso de solucionarse en breve tiempo.

saludos Farid.