Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 8

Re: Who is deleting photos from Google Maps

It could be. I suggest you keep Google Photo Albums

#BeKnownForWhatYouCreate
Level 6

This thread has figured it out, though the answers are buried in a lot of backtalk.

https://productforums.google.com/forum/#!topic/photos/-gMUXqeiEao;context-place=starred

SUMMARY

Technical Explanation:

"geo.osm said:

...And the problem is the following.
Normally (using the browser) adding a photo to a Maps POI will create a subalbum in the album "Photos from posts". So this photo would protected if you delete the copy in Google Photos.
Using the Android Maps app (have no iOS) this doesnt happen. No subalbum in "Photos from posts" will created. Its just a album in the root.
Thats why in this case the photo is also removed from the Maps POI.
You can check this in your album archive.
For my understanding this is a bug.
If you do a post in the Maps forum let me know the URL to thread, so I can escalate it there to the CM's..."

WORKAROUND:

1) When taking photos to be added to Google Maps, take them from your camera app, not within Google Maps app.

2) Then upload the photos from your device, not from Google Photos.

3) Then, when you delete them from Google Photos, they will stay on Google Maps.

Basically, you are keeping everything as separate as possible.

This will be necessary as long as Google does not resolve their subalbum bug.

Level 6

@PierceD wrote:

I will also add that, sometimes, if you delete your photos from "Photos," they get deleted from Google Maps. But not all the time. Because technology...

This thread has figured it out, though the answers are buried in a lot of backtalk.

https://productforums.google.com/forum/#!topic/photos/-gMUXqeiEao;context-place=starred

SUMMARY

Technical Explanation:

"geo.osm said:

Normally (using the browser) adding a photo to a Maps POI will create a subalbum in the album "Photos from posts". So this photo would protected if you delete the copy in Google Photos.
Using the Android Maps app (have no iOS) this doesnt happen. No subalbum in "Photos from posts" will created. Its just a album in the root.
If you do a post in the Maps forum let me know the URL to thread, so I can escalate it there to the CM's..."

WORKAROUND:

1) When taking photos to be added to Google Maps, take them from your camera app, not within Google Maps app.

3) Then, when you delete them from Google Photos, they will stay on Google Maps.

Level 8

@PierceD completely agree. Keeping separate my work within each application works great!

@PierceD wrote:

@PierceD wrote:

I will also add that, sometimes, if you delete your photos from "Photos," they get deleted from Google Maps. But not all the time. Because technology...

SUMMARY

Technical Explanation:

"geo.osm said:

WORKAROUND:

#BeKnownForWhatYouCreate
Level 6

So, reading the answers, is it a technical issue or is it a bug?

When I had active blogs sometimes my photos would randomly disappear even though they were in Photos and I came to believe and was advised by a tech friend it was probably a bug.

On the other hand I think it's real creepy for Google to vet photos silently but not say they are doing so and remove them (or not post them, as I have found) as silently.  In fact they say the opposite:  Thanks for you photo it will be posted shortly.  It that's what's happening without even explanation or alert it really puts me off.  I mean, why bother?

Level 6

So, reading the answers, is it a technical issue or is it a bug?

When I had active blogs sometimes my photos would randomly disappear even though they were in Photos and I came to believe and was advised by a tech friend it was probably a bug.

On the other hand I think it's real creepy for Google to vet photos silently but not say they are doing so and remove them (or not post them, as I have found) as silently.  In fact they say the opposite:  Thanks for you photo it will be posted shortly.  It that's what's happening without even explanation or alert it puts me off.  I mean, why bother?

Level 8

@Felicity_Perth

Hi,

Your question: Is it a technical issue or is it a bug?, is I guess related to the explanation with the storage issue? Bugs are usually technical issues, so this makes your question not any easier to understand 😉

The original post, what this thread is mostly about, is not about a technical issue. The main discussion is about the fact that anyone can flag a photo as irrelevant and when that "edit" by another Map user is approved, the photo will be taken from the listing. The reasons why (relevance, wrong place, quality photo, privacy, etc.) have been discussed by the people above.

One other reason that is also mentioned for photos disappearing, has nothing to do with the flagging of not valid photos and that is the issue where if you add photos in a certain way (see above) and you delete the photos on your device, they may also disappear from Maps. Your question, is this a bug? Some people would say it is, others say it is a clever way of Google using your storage, rather than storing the photos on their own server. I am not aware of any Google person confirming one or the other.

To make things even more confusing, it was mentioned above that if you add photos to a POI and that POI gets removed from Maps, that this also creates a situation, but this was a side track and not the core discussion of this thread.

If you were indeed confused, don't blame yourself, it is not all as straightforward as it looks at first sight 😉

Happy mapping!

Greetings, Jeroen

Level 6

Useful summary Jeroen, thanks.

Level 10

Google doesn't notify users when reviews or photos are removed. Their product, their rules.....

Their products are restricted in China, no google web search, no gmail, no google map, no youtube etc . I have done all my free works and showing my birth city - SHANGHAI to different people from all over the world. and still,  Google rejected.   well, so what is exact pic in your mind? 

Level 8

As @JeroenM says.The discussion is about responsibility and transparent collaboration on Maps.

I have accepted first answer and my question is solved. The issue is not persisting. 

My learning from the answers:

• I have improved the quality of my photos by working on a better Android device and by selecting the best photos I can do.
  • I pay more attention about privacy, excluding people from photos.
  • I did a short practice on the location and instructed students about the opportunities to contribute to maps. When more people add their photos independently from each other, along period of time, the imagery on location is clear and helpful. It makes malicious activities recognisable. 

At the end of the day, if a person is intentionally working against local guides and Maps mission for relevant information, Google should be informed and have their account suspended.

• It's always appropriate to have a conversation on Local Guides Connect.

Thank you to all who responded! 

#BeKnownForWhatYouCreate