Level 6

Re: Who are local guides?

Hi,

@ChristopheG wrote:

I agree, and I'll tell you when I'll be L5 if it changes

Done : I reached lvl5 and the signature is available 😉

Level 10

Cool. Thanks for coming back with the news, @Christophe31! At least we now know that this is indeed a L5 "feature".

Level 5

Yes! I completely agree with the original post. If I find a photo from a user in Google Maps, I would like the ability to find more information about that user. And I would like others to be able to find a little more about me. Maybe users don't have to provide info if they don't want to, but it should be an option. Strangely you cannot go to some kind of profile page. All you can do is click their name and see their other photos (in a narrow single-file vertical sidebar with only 10 loaded at a time with tedious infinite scroll). And I agree about Google+... Each of these people have a Google+ profile, so why can't we go to it? Also, there is of course Local Guides Connect. Perhaps allow a user to view a contributor's profile on Local Guides Connect.

I came from Panoramio, and there they allowed for a small text blurb and a link in your profile area that someone would see if they viewed the user's photos page. Those were small items but I appreciated it!

This idea provides a little bit of attribution for the user. And it provides for better communication, which probably results in more activity. Without something more, all that you see are the person's small icon and their username. That is not really attribution.

Level 10

Hi @HikingMike (and all), 

Once you have arrived on a person's LG contribution page, you can also find his/her G+ page as both systems use the same personal ID. Have a look at this screenshot of my contributions and notice that long series of numbers highlighted in the URL. Copy that.

Copy ID number highlighted in blueCopy ID number highlighted in blue

Now go to G+ and paste that ID number into the field I highlighted below: 

Paste the ID number into the URLPaste the ID number into the URL

You can test it with my profile linked in my signature field.

The URL will eventually change to my "custom URL" but this numbered one is the (so called) "canonical" URL which is just redirected to the custom URL.

Level 5

Thanks @Csaba, that is good to know. Thanks for the nice screenshots too. It seems you also do not need the /u/0/ part of the URL.

But that only helps people that know the trick. I hope for a small interface change such as a link from the Contributions screen to the Google+ profile. 

Interesting you have many links in your Google+ profile's About area. I can't figure out how to put in new links, but I guess I will look for Google+ help for that.

Level 6

Hello,

@CsabaI agree this is good to know, but like @HikingMike it's only for "advertised users" and it should be directly linked.

Another example : I went on MapMaker, there I am connected with my Google account ; in the related forum, there is another profile. After making several modifications in GMM, I see an advertising suggesting I could become a local guide 😄 None of the Google profiles are linked on to the other and IMHO it does not make any sense 😉

Even for the user experience, how strange it is to fill so many profiles, to have so many places to discuss thinks that are linked one to the other!

Level 10

Hi @HikingMike and @Christophe31

You are completely right; it should not be as difficult to reach out to someone as I have described. That's just a "workaround" I have found and can work for people like me or you.

As for a successful MM edit and seeing it as an invite for becoming a local guide - well, I see that often, too. 

Another thing is when I get a "best answer" from the Webmasters Help Forum (where I am a "Top Contributor") but any time (lately???) the email comes with an invitation to become a Top Contributor. 

🙂

Anyway, we probably do not expect Google to be perfect (otherwise why would be here???)

Level 5

@petocsaba wrote:

🙂

Anyway, we probably do not expect Google to be perfect (otherwise why would be here???)

@Csaba I don't need them to be perfect. But I need them to have better attribution, and put photos at the true locations! 🙂

Connect Moderator

I fully agree with @Christophe31's original post as well as with @HikingMike. It would be nicer to know who I am communicating with on Connect. Many of us have not even set their profile here, let alone setting a signature. And a non-techno person have difficulties knowing about others from the nos linked to their G+ profile, as suggested by @Csaba. There should be a better and easier way to know each other well.