Ouroboros's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 4

Wheelchair accessible routing

Essentially pedestrian navigation isn't always useful or even safe for wheelchair users. I guess this also applies to anyone with a pram/pushchair. While I recognise that Google made a great job of soliciting wheelchair accessibility information for mapped businesses and can sometimes apply the wheelchair icon for suitable doors too, this would be another major step forward.

I appreciate that this may be difficult. But then mapping the entire world and making it available to everyone was impossible up until very recently, right?

Can it be done?

4 comments
Level 8

Re: Wheelchair accessible routing

I can see it is very complex and require a lot of planing to get it right.

But if this is done, surely if will help a lot of wheelchair users.

Thank you very much for the suggestion.  I hope Google will listen to this.

Former Google Contributor

Thanks for the suggestion @Ouroboros. This is really something that could help a lot of people, so I'll share it with the team. 

Local Guides Community Program Manager
Due to the volume of private messages Google Moderators receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. Thank you.
Level 8

this  is really something that could help a lot of people. hope google will consider this for upcoming updates 🙂

Level 6

Not only wheelchair, but also visual impaired able routes, or push chairs... Each country has its laws on accessibility, if we, as guides, could map the pedestrian ways, the barriers, the crosswalks that are not accessible, benches, trees on the same high, the tree pits that are not protected, and where people can fall... The city isn't the same when you cant put a feet in the air after the other, or when you cant see the way. Google and we, as critical mass, could start improving the real life while mapping and sharing barriers on social networks, mentioning the respective city council and federations that could manage a legal issue with the states to solve this problems for everyone. Hope to hear from those features very soon!