Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 7

What to do if a Valid Edit is Rejected

Hi All 

I find sometimes that many of my edits are rejected without any reason 

For Example 
1. https://goo.gl/maps/4vLoCRAuPBR2
There is a glaring spelling mistake in the name " tresatment" instead of "treatment" I made the correction it is was not applied 
Is there any reason why this happens

2. Hon'ble Minister Inagurated TAEI Centre on 10/Jan/2018 in Madras Medical College. 
I added the centre along with photos, including the inaguration photo. 
The place was not created 

3. https://goo.gl/maps/8HPRQCscGo42 The address is Kulasekharam, but the map marker points to Madras Medical College Campus
I tried to move it / close it - Edit is not applied 

4. https://goo.gl/maps/d4jt15XxaUP2 Address is in Adyar, another area of Chennai, but Map Marker is inside MMC Campus 
I tried to move, but cannot do it 

My Question is 
Is there an appeal mechanism 

Why do these rejections happen 

Chennai, Tamil Nadu, India
6 comments

Accepted Solutions
Level 10
Solution

Re: What to do if a Valid Edit is Rejected

Hi @SpineBrainSurgeon reasons for not applied could be several, including your trusted level.

Anyway, I think has got some violations in the name, so I will try to perform the change for you.

Please, don't try again to submit these edits, and wait for someone with more trust than you to make the edits.

Please have a look here to learn more about not applied issue: https://www.localguidesconnect.com/t5/Mapping-Your-World/Why-is-my-edit-status-Pending-or-Not-Applie...

View solution in original post

Level 10
Solution

Hi @SpineBrainSurgeon reasons for not applied could be several, including your trusted level.

Anyway, I think has got some violations in the name, so I will try to perform the change for you.

Please, don't try again to submit these edits, and wait for someone with more trust than you to make the edits.

Please have a look here to learn more about not applied issue: https://www.localguidesconnect.com/t5/Mapping-Your-World/Why-is-my-edit-status-Pending-or-Not-Applie...

Level 4

After a l-o-n-g time, I just had an address correction rejected for Posh Salon in Maitland, FL.  A couple points:

1. I have been going to this salon for over 20 years.  The owner said she had tried several times to correct the address (she had moved the salon and, of course, wanted her customers, both current and future, to be able to find her new location, obviously).
  2. So I said 'Hey I'm a local guide - I'll fix it for you'.
  3. I provided:
    1. New address.
    2. Proper placement of the marker.
    3. Picture of the new location.
    4. Phone number for the owner, which, by the way, was never called.

I researched why this might have been rejected.  I found this:

1. It's all automated, don't take it personally.  Don't worry - I'm a geek and I never take anything a machine does personally.  However, when a machine is not working correctly, the machine should be reprogrammed to approach the problem correctly.
  2. There may be a problem with my 'trust level'.  If I keep getting rejected, my 'trust level' will never rise.

Here's the problem - you may well be affecting income for this business.  You should be more careful when you make decisions like this, especially when they are supported with the documentation level I provided.  Maybe - horror of horrors - get a human involved.

Level 7

@LucioV

@LucioV wrote:

The fact that verifiably valid edits  are so often rejected and that, as you  admit, even higher-level  contributors have  to "wait for someone with more trust than you to make the edits." is something which needs to be urgently addressed by Google Maps.

Google Inc. is receiving enormous benefits from the contributions be made by volunteers and the corporation needs to do a great deal more to make sensible improvements to the editing process or risk alienating those who donate their time and efforts in an attempt to improve both the quality and the quantity of information being present online.

■ "Quis custodiet ipsos custodes ?" ■ "Who watches the watchers ?" ■ the satirical poet, Juvenal ■ 1st century Rome ■
Level 4

I've given up.  If Google doesn't want to do anything about inaccurate addresses, I've started using Bing, and urged other people to do the same.

Level 10

@aka_Rὁn wrote:

@LucioV

The fact that verifiably valid edits  are so often rejected and that, as you  admit, even higher-level  contributors have  to "wait for someone with more trust than you to make the edits." is something which needs to be urgently addressed by Google Maps.

Google Inc. is receiving enormous benefits from the contributions be made by volunteers and the corporation needs to do a great deal more to make sensible improvements to the editing process

@LucioV wrote:

or risk alienating those who donate their time and efforts in an attempt to improve both the quality and the quantity of information being present online.

Human intervention in edits approval should be reduced to minimum, due to the large amount of contributions. This will get worst in the future, there is nothing we can do about this.

Only AI could work on this large amount of contributions, and AI needs training 😉

Level 7

@Paintedbycarol wrote:

I've given up.

If Google doesn't want to do anything about inaccurate addresses, I've started using Bing, and urged other people to do the same.

I can fully appreciate what you have been going through but I hope that you will reconsider and help us all raise the profile of this issue here since so much effort seems to be martialled by officials to sweep all of our concerns under the carpet.

It has also been made crystal clear that any discussion of the details of the problems is going to be curtailed because it is proprietary and could easily be exploited by spammers if more people understood how it was meant to work.

That is a recipe for sub-standard coding if I ever heard one and I seriously doubt that the existing system rests on solid AI foundations.

Some of the workarounds that experience high-level contributors have suggested reveal the basic flaws in the coding.

At the very least the Google Maps Bot should provide us with a bit more information as to why our valid edits instantly receive an automated "NOT APPLIED" response.

When I attempted to backtrack these occurences in my own case I discovered that the e-mail notifications did not include ANY  of the "NOT APPLIED" edits so that the whole matter could be buried easily and the concerns of the most diligent of contributors dismissed.

I don't like to see the time and effort that fellow contributors are making be tossed into the nearest dumpster  on a daily basis and so will continue to voice my objections to these issues until more members of our community manage to enter into a direct dialogue with the decision makers.

Enough is enough.

Many of us are devoting considerable resource to helping an extremely wealthy and powerful multinational corporation become even richer and it should be prepared to take on a lot more staff in line with its ongoing growth.

Younger people deserve to have paid jobs and it would be of benefit to the local economies if Google Maps increased the number of people who could look into these issues rather than waste all of our time with moronic automated systems which seem to be alienating so many of the most experienced contributors now.

■ "Quis custodiet ipsos custodes ?" ■ "Who watches the watchers ?" ■ the satirical poet, Juvenal ■ 1st century Rome ■