myclue's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 5

Uploaded photos of menus not displaying?

Is there a rule against posting photos or scans of menus for restaurants we review?  There are a couple of restaurants that I wrote reviews on and provided photos or scans of the menu and they don't show up in my review or in the collection of photos available for that restaurant.

3 comments
Level 8

Re: Uploaded photos of menus not displaying?

Hi @myclue,

Recently, I have my photo of menu published without issues.  I am not aware of any filters that will prevent photo of menus to be seen.

Normally, Maps will only show 200 photos per place, chosen by Maps own algorithm.  There is a chance that your photo of menus is not choosen to be shown.  But that selection of 200 changes all the time.

The most important is:  can you find that photo under Photos tab of your Contributions page?  If you can find, is the photos associated to the correct place?  If both are Yes, then the photo is published without issues.

Level 10

@myclue The official statement on photos are below, doesn't say much about menus. A lot of the filtering is probably done by the AI automatically and not by a person. In my experience, sometimes it won't recognize a majority text-based menu, especially when it's perfectly scanned like a document. I upload menus sometimes (usually a photograph of a graphic filled menu, not a scan or a text only menu), and as I remember, most of them are published, I can't say if all of them are still there now though. An example is this photo here (https://goo.gl/maps/JmdvDzL3M5s)

Maps Photo & Video Policy Help

https://support.google.com/contributionpolicy/answer/7400114?hl=en

Stylistic adjustments
-Stylistic adjustments (such as applied filters) are acceptable, provided that these stylistic changes are minimal and are not appended elements such as borders, text, collaged images, etc.
-Some forms of promotional content are exempt from this requirement. These are outlined in the "Superimposed text or graphics" section below.
-Content that makes it difficult for others to understand the environment you’re sharing may be rejected.
-Examples are excessively dark or blurry images, significantly rotated compositions, and use of filters that dramatically alter the representation of the place.
-Images must be of a sufficient resolution. Exact requirements may vary by photo type and point of upload. For example 360 photos must be at least 4K (3,840 pixel by 2,160 pixel resolution or greater).
-Screenshots, drawings, posters and other non–photos, other than videos, should not be uploaded.
-For videos, only upload content that is stable and has good visual quality. Content that is out of focus, shaky, or has bad exposure should not be uploaded. Distorted or corrupted videos are not allowed.

Superimposed text or graphics
Superimposed text or graphics are subject to the following requirements:
-For 360 photos, superimposed content must be limited to either the zenith or nadir (top or bottom 25% of the equirectangular image), but cannot be present in both.
-For traditional digital photos and videos, superimposed content cannot take up more than 10% of the image or video, and must be limited to a single edge.
-Superimposed text or graphics must be relevant.
-Distracting superimposed text or graphics are not permitted.

Level 5

@StephenAbraham I do see the photo in my contributions area, but not on Maps.  First link below is the restaurant, which only has around 16 photos, so the 200 photo rotation theory doesn't apply.  Second link is the photo in question.  I have a similar issue with another photo of a menu for another restaurant I actually photographed at the same food court where it shows in my contributions but not on Maps.  Puzzling...  

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Sutadonya/@33.0660943,-96.6940975,18.57z/data=!4m8!1m2!17m1!1e1!3m...

https://www.google.com/maps/contrib/106522197899278297036/photos/@33.0668236,-96.6935364,3a,75y,90t/...