IsaiahD's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 4

Unofficial Communities

In Nigeria, there are several unofficial communities that are not featured on the ''official and unofficial communities map". 

Jos, Plateau, Nigeria
9 comments

Accepted Solutions
Former Google Contributor
Solution

Re: Unofficial Communities

Hi @IsaiahD, as @iyudhi said, anybody could create a community in Google+ (or any other social network of their preference).

But in order to get supported by us (and included in our My Map), you should be at least Level 3 and attend a training. However, as @TraciC mentioned here, we did not host any trainings in June, but we will be in touch with those eligible for support soon (and who completed the application, of course).

Local Guides Community Program Manager
Due to the volume of private messages Google Moderators receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. Thank you.

View solution in original post

Connect Moderator

Hey @IsaiahD, the owners of the unofficial communities need to go through Moderator training first before they can be featured on the map. Have they done this process? More details can be read in the article below:

https://support.google.com/local-guides/answer/6273834?hl=en&ref_topic=6214612

Level 4

I have completed the form for the training request. Haven't got any reply though. I thought it was stated that "training is not a requirement"

"While it is not a requirement, trainings are available to select Local Guides Level 3+. Once you’ve created your community, please complete this form. If selected, we’ll be in touch to schedule moderator training. Please note that the Local Guides team supports one community per area and only one owner per community will be tratrained

Connect Moderator

It's not a requirement in a way that it's not enforced, and you can still run your community without going through training. If that's the case Google won't officially support the community. 

Level 4

@iyudhi ok thanks. But are such trainings carried out in regions like Africa?. Nigeria to be precise.

Connect Moderator

The trainings will be using video conference using Hangouts, so as long as it's on earth, they will do it 😄

Level 4

@iyudhi.lol.. Thanks

Former Google Contributor
Solution

Hi @IsaiahD, as @iyudhi said, anybody could create a community in Google+ (or any other social network of their preference).

But in order to get supported by us (and included in our My Map), you should be at least Level 3 and attend a training. However, as @TraciC mentioned here, we did not host any trainings in June, but we will be in touch with those eligible for support soon (and who completed the application, of course).

Local Guides Community Program Manager
Due to the volume of private messages Google Moderators receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. Thank you.
Level 8

@IvanY wrote:

The trainings will be using video conference using Hangouts, so as long as it's on earth, they will do it 😄

We shouldn't be too quick to rule out a training for the first Proxima Centauri Local Guides community, aye ?  😉

Connect Moderator

Maybe one day @Nick-Hobgood 😛