MichaelGwiz's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 7

Trails - Trail Features, Highlights, Overlooks, Loops, and Trailheads

I've seen several questions for 'features' on hiking or running trails as POI's in Maps, and the response is that they are not POI's.  By canon, Trails are Roads without vehicles, and so thus trailheads and loops would be redundant descriptors to the base map data.  I understand that the official suggestion has been that these trailheads, loops, overlooks, and features be done as custom maps of the individual user if that user feels them valuable.  

I started looking at custom maps myself last week for trails and trailheads and trail features (and a basic form that feeds a sheet that can then be imported into the custom map (or kml, xls, csv).  This is clunky.  The task of people doing this in non-similar programmatic ways potentially drains LG time away from Maps.  More significantly it seems to drain data away from Maps.  In lieu of "features" for trails, I'd suggest a function in sheets be introduced for Google Local Guides that allows automatic refreshing of Custom Maps data based on 'sheets' of information moderated within the LG communities, or rather an import in Custom Maps that dynamically references rather than imports the sheet in question.