DuncanW's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 1

Tracked OMG!

Wow, to participate in 'Local Guides', you have to let Google track your every movement? It reminds me of scientists attaching radio collars to animals in order to study them. Except I'd trust scientists more than a mega-corporation. My movements are pretty boring, but dressing up a people-tracking app by offering 'points & levels' seems pretty cynical to me. Tell it like it is Google.. "We will make heaps of money by tracking the movements of large numbers of people and selling / using their data to promote products through advertising. We will sell your data to businesses who want to target you. Why not participate? You get [no monetary reward] by doing so, but we will try to make you feel special by giving you fluff rewards".

Australia
10 comments

Accepted Solutions
Former Google Contributor
Solution

Re: Tracked OMG!

Hi @DuncanW,

Google Maps uses your location settings under that tab to offer you suggestions of where you've been and to make it easier to contribute. But if you go look for any place on Maps and tap on its name, you can write a review, upload photos, suggests changes, without even sharing your location data. 

Local Guides Community Program Manager
Due to the volume of private messages Google Moderators receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. Thank you.

View solution in original post

Connect Moderator

There's no requirement to share location to participate in Local Guides, and you can always turn of location tracking at any time

Manage or delete your Location History

Level 10
Level 1

Very interesting, because under the 'contribute' tag, the only option I have is to turn on tracking. It doesn't appear I can do anything until I've done this. Again it's a cynical move because you know most people aren't going to search for ages to find out how to contribute without turning on tracking. Just be honest about it, that's my point. Tell it how it is.

Level 10

I believe in "don't be evil" philosophy embraced by Google founders and radicated in all the company.

They need to make godzillion of dollars to keep everything running, but if they want to turn on your tracking, they will do to offer a better service, to estimate traffic, and to make your route. 😉

Level 8

Hi @DuncanW,

Can you post a screen shot where you must enable tracking before being able contribute to Maps?

Level 1

Sure SampsonF, I've pasted it below.

When I click "contribute" tab, it only gives me the option to turn on tracking. While I like the idea of people contributing to a shared knowledge pool, I'm not keen on having to do the tracking thing!

Maybe I'm just using it wrong.

2017-03-29 (2).png

Level 8

Hi @DuncanW,

Make no mistake, Google definitely want us to enable it.

As a matter of fact, we do not have to enable Location History at all to contribute to Maps.  We can:

1.  Open a place in Maps

- add photos

- write reviews

- answer questions

- edit details

- mark place as close

2.  Add Missing Place

By enabling Location History, the immediate benefit is:

- from the My Contribution tag, you will be "reminded" which place you visited that you can further contribute.

That's it, that's all.

Level 1

Thanks SampsonF!

I have managed to add one of my old photos which used to be on Panoramio! It's not the easiest process and you cant do it using the Local Guides interface unfortunately, but you are right, I could do it without turning on the tracking feature. Thanks for taking the time to explain how this is done.

Cheers.

Former Google Contributor
Solution

Hi @DuncanW,

Google Maps uses your location settings under that tab to offer you suggestions of where you've been and to make it easier to contribute. But if you go look for any place on Maps and tap on its name, you can write a review, upload photos, suggests changes, without even sharing your location data. 

Local Guides Community Program Manager
Due to the volume of private messages Google Moderators receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. Thank you.