Justin-A's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 8

The Problem with Google Local Guides

I originally posted this on Medium but now I feel it's time to bring the argument directly to Google's highest level Guides: You.
Here goes....

Maps aren’t going anywhere, but the Local Guides program is dying…

Google Local Guides has a problem. Here is how to Fix it.

Yes yes, I can hear the collective groan being emitted all over Medium. You’re thinking “dork with a smartphone,” right? I’m basically a pokemon chaser but less cute. Well whatever. All I know is I got in the program just in time and scored a free Terabyte of data or two years from the Big G. I love this program. Until my data runs out that is…

For anyone who doesn’t know Google Local Guides are an offshoot community of Google maps. Local Guides submit photographs, reviews, and information updates to keep Google Maps up to date and relevant. We are essentially a small army of free content makers for Google. The program somewhat incentivizes our contributions by creating a tiered meritocracy. Up until a few months ago anyone who reached level 4, received a terabyte of free data storage from Google for two years.

Look! I’m a level 4!

The company recently scaled that back to 100 gigs as too many of us were earning level 4. I snuck in a few months before the decrease. Local Guides is built on a sort of gameification concept. Essentially, it feels a bit like being in a role playing game. Levelling up brings rewards. Stagnation breeds decline.

Here is the important point about all of this though:

The Google Local Guides program will die a slow and painful death. It is heading there right now even if all evidence appears to the contrary.

Why?

The incentives are too few. 100 gigs of data storage for level 4s? (Scoff!) Flickr gives me 10 times as much without making me jump through any hoops. Of course the security of that data may certainly be in question…

Free stuff? I haven’t seen any of that.

Membership in a community of Local Guides? Please. I can find sturdier friend-making apparatuses via World of Warcraft.

Local Guides summit invites? I don’t think so. Without further incentives individual local guides will hit a wall of indifference regarding their contributions. They will be faced with the following questions:

1. After level 4. WTF?

Seriously, what am I working for? Why am I doing this? If there is no difference between 500 points and 1000 points in the Local guide meritocracy, why should I bother?

2. What does Google need with my contributions?

They have data. They know it. We know it. Everyone knows it. And if Google doesn’t know something but wants to, it can shuffle any LG2 off to figure out what the phone number for this laundry mat is or what the business hours of that Korean BBQ are... what do they need me for?

In the end, it will be a question, not of rewards, but of need. Every hero wants to feel needed, and it is tough to believe that Google Maps really needs us. Let alone that it needs us level 4s and 5s soaking up their data with mostly irrelevant content. What benefit are we providing and to whom are we providing it? 

Luckily for everyone involved, I have come up with The Solution for Google.Here is how Google Local Guides should proceed: 

1 . Create a Local Guide Level 6.

1000 point minimum. Advise all LG6s that, moving forward their contributions will not be needed in the same ways, but in new and much more exciting ones. Once an LG hits Level 6, the quality of their content will be rated. Oh yes, no more crap photos and half hearted reviews, pal. Being an LG6 means you will need to know what the hell you are doing out there. And if you don’t produce, no problem, welcome back to Level Five! Now go earn another 500 points you may have another shot at LG6 status again! 
The ratings that are applied to the LG6s content will be tied directly to its monetary value. Because all GOOD content has a monetary value

2 . Monetize quality content separated into 3 categories:
* Reviews: quality determined by readability, credibility, and style. 
* Photos: quality photographs have monetary value to the shop-owners willing to pay for them, and viewer interest, as defined by Google of course.
* Information: corrections, new business listings, etc: quality determined by level of factual accuracy, and credibility of purveyor (the LG)

Someone should pay me for this… please.

3 . Inform LG6s that in order to maintain LG 6 status they must submit a minimum 8 High Quality, though not necessarily monetarily valuable, pieces of content each month.

4 . As money rolls in from content sold by Google to individuals, business owners, and aggregators, etc. give the LG6 a share of the profit Google receives from said content he/she has submitted. 

In addition: Google should leverage its business relationships, especially with other tech companies to provide its LG6s other non-monetary but otherwise invaluable incentives.

For example, Let us say that a particularly industrious LG6 has taken dozens and dozens 360 degree photos that amount to $100 (unlikely) in value to Google. Google then deposits 33 dollars into said LG6s account (33% seems fair). In addition by leveraging its partnerships with WordpressSquaresoft and Wix, said LG6 is given access to premium features and services from one of those providers for a limited time. Lastly, as a final bonus, Google credits the LG6s Adsense account $20.

You know, so they can promote their new Wix site. This not only incentivizes the holy hell out of the LG program, it also endears Content-Makers to Google, which is a HUGE win for the company in the short and long term 

This solution accomplishes so many things, I don’t even want to go into it. But as a final point, it is my opinion that all LG6s will no doubt be given the opportunity to: 

1. Crush their enemies
2. See those enemies driven before before them.
3. Hear the lamentations of their women. 
Because that is all that is best in life.

https://youtu.be/Oo9buo9Mtos

Justin Arn.

23 comments
Connect Moderator

Re: The Problem with Google Local Guides

Interesting point of view and suggestions. I agree about increasing the level cap and I'm sure the LG team have heard that request numerous times by now. However, I disagree about the monetisation aspect. It blurs the line too much and folks will start to question whether that sterling review you left was genuine or you were just angling for a discount. 

At the moment, it's tricky enough to stop folks from trying to game the system. That 1TB reward was great but it also generated a lot of poor quality reviews as folks were incorrectly motivated to level up as quickly as possible. And there will always be folks who will try to game the system.

Do I have a solution to provide? Not really but I get the feeling that Google is very aware of the amount of content that LG all over the world provides and it would be silly on their part to not pay attention to any issues within the community.

Thanks for bringing it up here and hopefully it'll generate good discussion on where folks want to see the LG programme head towards.

#EuroMeetup2024 - Join us in Manchester, UK from June 6th to 9th 2024
      Go Loco Guides - The unofficial YouTube channel for Local Guides! Check us out and subscribe
      Connect Writing Challenge - Simple strategies to write engaging posts on Connect
      How to Write Reviews - Easy to remember tips on writing structured reviews
Level 9
Level 9

@JustinA wrote:
I originally posted this on Medium ...the Local Guides program is dying…

IMHO you're dead wrong and I think the length of this post and your restaurant review partially indicates why. What you're doing here is journalism and you feel, perhaps rightly, you should be paid for that. But the LG program is about volunteerism and shorter pithy reviews ("Choose the right length – a paragraph is great"), one of yours is around 700 words and 15 paras. It's great writing but on the wrong platform. Google will never pay LGs.

Level 8

Thanks AdrianL, 

I understand your POV with regards to monetization and LGs looking for a quick buck with positive reviews.  The same thing happens on Yelp and half a dozen other crowd-reviewing aggregators. At some point however, we need to acknowledge that no-one, from the professional foodie in your local paper to the 500th restaurant reviewer on Google Maps is without bias.  LG6s should be considered an asset precisely because of the amount of work they've had to do in order to cultivate their standing.  It shows their dedication to the program at the very least.  To endanger such standing by writing paid-for reviews, especially after Google goes through the process of potentially paying them anyway would be foolhardy to say that least.  After all its not as though they can simply devise a new email address and use another Level 6 persona...

Additionally, I think we're missing two key points here. 

1) Data is valuable. It doe indeed have a monetary value no matter what voluntary programs would have you believe. But LG6s aren't asked to provide data.  Their asked to provide Content.  Remeber its the quality of the content that keeps LG6s in Level 6 status. That's the difference between a local guide level 1 and a local guide level 6.  And Content is even more valuable than data. 

2) the assumption regarding reviews leaves out the other very important areas that LOCAL guides are so helpful with: images and accuracy.  

Those are expected to have a higher quality at the level 6 status as well. The goal here is not to populate the Internet with more irrelevant data... it's to produce innovative and trustworthy content-makers which is exactly what Local Guides does... until the level 5 cutoff that is.... 

@AdrianL wrote:

Interesting point of view and suggestions. I agree about increasing the level cap and I'm sure the LG team have heard that request numerous times by now. However, I disagree about the monetisation aspect. It blurs the line too much and folks will start to question whether that sterling review you left was genuine or you were just angling for a discount. 

At the moment, it's tricky enough to stop folks from trying to game the system. That 1TB reward was great but it also generated a lot of poor quality reviews as folks were incorrectly motivated to level up as quickly as possible. And there will always be folks who will try to game the system.

Do I have a solution to provide? Not really but I get the feeling that Google is very aware of the amount of content that LG all over the world provides and it would be silly on their part to not pay attention to any issues within the community.

Thanks for bringing it up here and hopefully it'll generate good discussion on where folks want to see the LG programme head towards.

@AdrianL wrote:

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello @Justin-A, I am not sure why you are angry so much...

I made small research about you...

First of all, you live in San Diego, California...well you live in very good part of world, 1st world country with all opportunities in every sense...

I live in Bosnia and Herzegovina (which is - nowhere), I have 29 years (almost 30), no job so ever, no money, and without any opportunity, and there is a fact that I am person with mild disability (not big deal, but still).

You are Level 5 - 500 points

I am Level 5 - 8400 points

You are not Regional Lead, Community Moderator and Trusted Photographer...I am.

From your point of view, LG Program is not good and still you are not fully involved in all aspects of LG Program but OK you are Local Guide Level 5 but still there is many things that you are not aware about LG.

I can agree about that fact, LG Program cant stay on a voluntary basis only...simply can not, this program is growing and growing...LG Program extends to many other parts of Google products.

Thy are aware of that fact...but your suggestion is a little dysfunctional in global.

LG is directly linked to Google Maps and with all other segments of Google Maps...so there is a lot of other teams, programs, products...

Your suggestion can open Pandora box and bring many other problems...

The best solution is to crate team(s) at Google of people from worldwide (from all or almost all countries) who will work together for all segments and parts of Maps (including Local Guides)...with the main responsibility for their countries.

Volunteer section can remain, but with the primary idea - Writing reviews, taking photos and some suggestions about business (working time, phone number etc.) and adding new places but under control of that new team(s).

Also that new team(s) will be responsible for mapping, editing, reviewing, adding information (almost all can be found on internet), customer support for their country (GMB and other) and also promotion and marketing because they know best how to promote something in their countries...

I can write all day about my ides...but no, I dont want to say all what I "have in mind" because I was doing that before and and some is accepted...OK it can be a coincidence but still...

I am waiting for the real opportunity at Google...then I will give best of me, and even better than that...

I am not looking for the great salary... I will be satisfied with the basic for normal life (which do not have here)...actually here I do not have almost nothing, barely have for a monthly membership fee for GYM, also barely pay internet...My laptop 🙂 Well many people cant imagine how it looks to work on that slow Laptop, but still I am using Photoshop, Premier Pro (anybody cant imagine how long it take to process some video with 4GB of Ram, AMD CPU and with 512 MB Ram of graphics card). And can you imagine how it look to draw CTVs with that spec. with 15.6" of screen 😄

Still I was never say that LG is bad or that LG is dying...no LG will be and it could be great and one of the main Google Programs...just if they do necessary adjustments.

I would like to ask you, are you angry at Google and why?

I would like to hear why, from you, from somebody who live where you live?

You see, I am not angry, maybe a little disappointed because Google does not see me as potential Googler, jet...but still I am applying to many Google jobs...well no luck so far, but I am hopping and applying...and waiting...

Connect Moderator

@Anonymousgo on.... 

For such kind of you, Local guides Extend  Day by day... 

Happy guiding... 

Level 10

Program Local  guides will not die until Google itself decides to close it.

And the proof of the Google Maps Maker with millions of fans.

For editing maps got no money.

But users still asking Google, not to cover this product. Because they are patriots of their hobby.

P.S. Map Maker forever.

Andriy Degula
Anonymous
Not applicable

@AndriyDegula

Actually, I can see Local Guides Program in distant future...together with a smart lens and other...

About MM, well I was know that this would happen...but it is not big deal...for me it is a good decision...

You know that it become buggy...

Hobby is OK, but not enough to maintain quality...

And it is always temporary, I have seen many people who have the passion about MM and they start with mapping but after some time they just stop and never come back 🙂

Level 8

Hi DraganK. 

Thanks for taking the time to check me out online!  I keep my profiles completely public for just such a purpose, and fully realize what I put online.  It appears you may have mistaken 'excitement' for 'anger.' I can assure you I am not at all angry but generally lead a peaceful and happy existence. I am however very excited at what I consider to be a phenomenal idea regarding the Google Local Guide's program. 

I can understand your frustration regarding having put so much work into the many products that Google offers and creates. Personally I was quite astounded by the numbers you quoted and your many contributions. That DraganK is precisely why you of all people should be the one championing this cause, not disparaging it my friend.  I understand you want to work for Google and I sincerely hope you get your wish.  But my idea isn't just for one person, it's for everyone who has gone out of their way to make Google Maps what it is today.  

Regards,

Level 8

Btw, I too am a huge fan of Map Maker.  

Have you tried floor plan marker?  

https://www.google.com/search?q=google+maps+floor+plan+marker&oq=google+maps.floor&aqs=chrome.2.69i5....

Regards,