AldoFerretto's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 8

Sudden drop in View Count

One month ago I received the mail announcing that view count of my photos exceeded 22.5 Millions (20.0 M on july and 17.5 M on May).
I rarely check the count, but some days ago I realized that the view count had fallen to 9 M, at the same time, re-reading the email, I realized that some of the photos seem to have disappeared, as you can see from the image.

22.5m.jpg
Most of my pictures comes from Panoramio, which was "frozen" one month ago.
What's happening ?

Aldo 🙂

3 comments

Accepted Solutions
Level 9
Level 9
Solution

Re: Sudden drop in View Count

Hi Aldo, I'm giving a slightly longer answer as this may help others in the future if they have permanently lost views too.

As mentioned on your other thread, one of the reasons to lose photos (and thus points) is if the place the photos are attributed to is deleted. There are several reasons a place might be deleted, it may go out of business or sometimes the place should never have been on the map at all. Again there are different reasons why a place should not have been on the map - often LGs will add a place (with photos) in good faith but from a mistaken understanding of the rules, eg they have added a place and given it a descriptive name because it has no official name. Many things which exist in the real world are not actually mappable. Eventually the place will have to be deleted and thus the photos will be removed.

Another reason a place is deleted is because it is a duplicate and here I think we may be getting closer to your own situation. 

Take a look at this map https://goo.gl/maps/eKEB8AmpsQt you can see there are three listings for the same Church of Saint Andrea. All three versions have photos and your own photos are on two of the different listings. At some point a helpful LG will mark two of the listings as duplicates and when Google eventually deletes them you will lose another photo, another point and a bunch of views. 

By the way I think this version of the church https://goo.gl/maps/v4c6iToGRfT2 should be kept and the other two marked as duplicates

View solution in original post

Level 9
Level 9
Solution

Hi Aldo, I'm giving a slightly longer answer as this may help others in the future if they have permanently lost views too.

As mentioned on your other thread, one of the reasons to lose photos (and thus points) is if the place the photos are attributed to is deleted. There are several reasons a place might be deleted, it may go out of business or sometimes the place should never have been on the map at all. Again there are different reasons why a place should not have been on the map - often LGs will add a place (with photos) in good faith but from a mistaken understanding of the rules, eg they have added a place and given it a descriptive name because it has no official name. Many things which exist in the real world are not actually mappable. Eventually the place will have to be deleted and thus the photos will be removed.

Another reason a place is deleted is because it is a duplicate and here I think we may be getting closer to your own situation. 

Take a look at this map https://goo.gl/maps/eKEB8AmpsQt you can see there are three listings for the same Church of Saint Andrea. All three versions have photos and your own photos are on two of the different listings. At some point a helpful LG will mark two of the listings as duplicates and when Google eventually deletes them you will lose another photo, another point and a bunch of views. 

By the way I think this version of the church https://goo.gl/maps/v4c6iToGRfT2 should be kept and the other two marked as duplicates

Level 8

Thank you @Pea for your deep analisys, I agree that your explanation is a good reason for loosing points and views, however maybe there is another reason: many of my photos from Panoramio were geotagged but NOT associated to any POI on the map.
I wonder what happens in this case will the photo be associated to the nearest city/village or whatever?
Aldo 🙂

Level 9
Level 9

If you look at your photos sorted by views you'll see your top pictures have been linked with the Moscow city listing, I'm guessing that was done by geo tagging? Perhaps some of your other photos were similarly associated with features which were subsequently removed. Since we can only see the photos of yours which are on the map now, it's hard to tell what you had before and how photos and features were associated. 

In your list you have a photo with 150,000 views called Piazza San Francesco d'Assisi  https://goo.gl/maps/mFKw2tXRjsK2 (though you may have originally named it 'Pistoia, Parterre in Piazza San Francesco'?). On the map it is not associated with a listing, it is on its own, however it appears in the wrong location, not at the far west end of the square where it should be, but in front of the church. The mislocation is not great but one could imagine an enthusiastic mapper reporting it and it ending up being deleted?

You've lost so many views though so I don't think this would the the reason 10m have disappeared, but it may build a bigger picture of the ways in which photos are removed.

Screenshot 2016-12-14 at 12.00.21.png