Hagenbuch's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 10

Subjectivity & Expanded Local Guides Profiles

Let me start off by saying that I am a big fan of the Google Local Guides program, however, one thing that I feel is missing that could really elevate the quality of the reviews is: transparency. While privacy is always a valid concern, there are subjective elements to a written review that do not always rise to the surface, and these hidden variables ultimately combine to create a unified rating. Expanded profiles may be a way to help this. 

Just as individual taste can vary greatly from one person to the next, so can the idea of "expensive" -or- "out of the way," based off of disposable income, access to transportation, etc. Because there are currently no features to contextualize how a Local Guide may view a certain establishment or its offerings, it is important to communicate your personal preferences within a review as to not deter prospective visitors from becoming customers for the incorrect reason.

Personally, I find the exercise of creating a written review to be the most time-consuming, yet most beneficial when done properly. In the future, it would be nice to answer personal questions and see how the data lines up with preferences on the back end of things,  but does anybody know of any plans to create more robust Local Guide profiles based -or- perhaps deeper integration with Google+? Thanks all!

State College, PA, USA
3 comments
Connect Moderator

Re: Subjectivity & Expanded Local Guides Profiles

@Hagenbuch

I feel you. 

I am going to request a few features myself and this one is also going to be part of it. 

I would want some 'yayys' and 'nayys' sort of fields so that viewers can have data from numerous sources and they can easily summarize the mass projection of it. 

Written reviews help a lot, but yes they are subjective and that is one big gray area in Google Maps

Level 10

I agree, @OmerAli, and your response got me thinking about "reviewing the reviewer" (similar to "did you find this review helpful" on Amazon). This could be a way to essentially follow or connect with other Local Guides who share similar tastes or are seeking out similar experiences. 

Thank You for your for your feedback, Omer!

Connect Moderator