chandrag's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 7

Street food

I request for street food category on the kind of bussines in google maps...

10 comments
Level 9
Level 9

Re: Street food

It's important to remember that there is sometimes a good reason a category is missing. Let's imagine that tomorrow a new Street Food category suddenly appeared, what name would you give to the listing you wanted to add? You can't just name it 'Place for Street Food' or even 'Food on Main Street', 'Food Carts in Main St Parking Lot' because they would be descriptive names not proper names and descriptive names are not permitted. 

Level 7

@Pea Where I live, all street food vendors have a proper name for their stall. 

Level 10

Here is a similar topic, with an answer from a Googler.

I think that this category should not be allowed, because street food are, for definition, mobile businesses, and this could be impossible to achieve with our map standards. 😉

Level 7

@LucioV I think it is probably a cultural thing. 

In India, street food stalls are not mobile. Many of them have been in operation for generations, and most of the food stalls have a huge following and are very famous for their specific food item. 

It is just that they do not have a rented space, and are normally stationed on a mobile cart - but they don't move the cart to different locations to operate in different areas. Everyday they will come to same spot to start their business, and would go back from their at the end of the business day. 

This article could indicate the permanent nature of these stalls, and also their significance or relevance to deserve a place on the map: 
http://grabhouse.com/urbancocktail/delicious-street-food-places-in-delhi/

Street food in Indian culture becomes the corner stone for all foodies and explorers. 

Level 7

@LucioV I had written a long reply and now it seems to be missing 😞 

In short, I feel it may be a cultural thing. 

In India, where I am from, street food stalls are not mobile and many of them have been operational for decades. Most of our foodie & urban exploration is around street food. 

Level 10

@VinayakG wrote:

@LucioV I had written a long reply and now it seems to be missing 😞 

In short, I feel it may be a cultural thing. 

In India, where I am from, street food stalls are not mobile and many of them have been operational for decades. Most of our foodie & urban exploration is around street food. 

Yes, i can understand. This could be a category only for your area.

Sorry for your long reply you lost!

Former Google Contributor

Hi @VinayakGarg, your post is available again. It got stuck in spam quarantine and we have released it. 

P.S @LucioV, you can read the original message now 🙂

New to Connect? Check out Help Desk! Always keep in mind the Local Guides program rules when posting.

Level 10
Level 1

street food is not mobile in nature. Like I have never heard any food stall serving food today in 'X' area and then switching on to another area 'Y'.  There are various street food outlets which are on trucks or on stalls. Few of them are HotPot van, lotan chole kulche wala etc.

You can go through the whole list here: http://www.peppyspirit.com/10-famous-food-places-in-delhi-to-have-street-food/