carmenara's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 7

Street address different from what's actually submitted

Hello! 

One of my habits when adding new Places is verifying the correct street address before posting on Maps. 

When I submit the Place I however see the address is cut off or wrongly formatted. Take a look at the below screenshot. It should say something like 1 Jurong East Street 21 #02-13, Ng Teng Fong General Hospital, Singapore 609606 which is what I really typed in the address field.

Is it being cut off as the full address is too long?

Thanks for your time.

Screenshot_2017-01-18-05-38-09.jpg

A Lost Sheep in Delhi
https://lostsheepdelhi.wordpress.com
Singapore
5 comments
Former Google Contributor

Re: Street address different from what's actually submitted

Hi @carmenara

Have you tried to suggest a edit on the place you added? Sometimes because of the place where the pin is located, it may get a different road than the one you intended to add.

Due to the volume of private messages Google Moderators receive, I do not read or respond to private messages.
Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. Thank you.
Level 8

Hi @carmenara,

The Address input field in Maps is a single free text box.

As per your screenshot, I think it is just a result words wrapping instead of some kind of formatting.

Level 7

Hi @GusMoreira,

Yes indeed it happens sometimes ; after keying in the address and moving the location pin, the custom address is overwritten by the new (incorrect) street address. Often, it will default to a generic area and not the street address.

Such as instead of "7 Changi Business Park Crescent" it will revert to Tampines Singapore or whatever general town area in that section of the country.

I usually copypasta or re-type the correct address back in so no biggie. This drastically inflates the number of edits I'm making, of course, so it's a minor annoyance only.

A Lost Sheep in Delhi
https://lostsheepdelhi.wordpress.com
Level 9
Level 9

CarmenT wrote: 

Is it being cut off as the full address is too long? 

Hi @carmenara @GusMoreira

Unless I've misunderstood, I think GreggG already mentioned, it's not the length but the format:  "Maps is not set up to accept a format that has both the address and then a description such as the mall or hospital. It will only accept the street address, please only use that."

https://www.localguidesconnect.com/t5/Mapping-Your-World/What-is-the-typical-address-format-in-your-...

Level 8

hello @GusMoreira,

along with this, there is a severe issue with Maps addressing functionality. we were able to fix this issue with MapMaker, however, after turning this editor off, every new edit is going to hang "pending" in moderation, while it could be published outright if we had the chance to fix these issues further. now the point: most street names (in our country) were imported with their long names which are not being used in the official realm (cadastre numbers). e.g. "Slovenského Národného Povstania" while we use the official state abbreviation "SNP" instead in both formal & informal use. also cadastre-imported address points are formatted as "SNP" - this "discrepancy" causes that Maps behave as if there were no such addresses and every such address edit goes into compulsory Google moderation.