JashJacob's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 8

Solution for Duplicate Photos

I think it's really essential for detecting duplicate photos and allow the local guide to remove them after they get notified. I upload the photos from my iPhone and sometimes through the maps.google.com website. I visit the same place couple of times and I have tons of pictures of the restaurant. I think I might upload them twice by mistake when looking back. So this solution is a much needed feature.

3 comments
Former Google Contributor

Re: Solution for Duplicate Photos

Thanks for your feedback, @JashJacob! I will pass this suggestion along to the team. I imagine your thoughts to be similar to what @Przemo shared in this post? 🙂

New to Connect? Check out Help Desk! Always keep in mind the Local Guides program rules when posting.

Connect Moderator

@JeslynL this issue definitely needs priority attention. It's very difficult to avoid adding duplicate photos for a popular place when photos are taken on different visits. Checking first the photos shown under the contributions photos tab doesn't help much because often there's a delay before the photos appear there.

I have to add @JeslynL that adding captions retrospectively is also very difficult if not near impossible. I have tried doing this retrospectively via photos.google but these captions do not seem to appear in maps!!!

These may appear small issues in totality but if addressed they would certainly make life a lot easier for LGs .

Level 9

I would like to have a new uption in the dropdown menu "Why are you reporting this photo? (Required)"

Duplicate photo

These can be own duplicates or made by other person. To make it easy to identify them the option should open up separate fields to paste the url.

Streetview app is handling the last spaerical photo differently. It uploads, but do not remove it from my phone. Next time I upload photos this last photo from the previous upload became hereby an unintentional duplicate.

On PC I run regularly programs like findupes.exe identifying duplicates in my archive. Such automatic search could be run continuously on the huge photo base of Maps.

Similar big problem is that photos sometimes end up on incorrect maps listing. A local guide has very good chance to identify soch misplaced photos. If we do not have the right to move them then open up fields for the photo url (which should be moved) and the maps licting field (the new target location).

Let us help in this Sisyphos' work, we LGs sitting on the knowledge.