tobijo's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 5

Sites with paid ads are using my reviews and my full name - poor google policy

When I google my name, I now see my reviews populating in search results for review sites such as AARP and Zagat (which are also generating ad revenue - where's my share?). This is undesirable for me, and makes me want to remove all my reviews from google maps. Is there a way to prevent this? I'm happy to lend my help to google and google users, but not other sites google chooses to help. 

6 comments
Connect Moderator

Re: Concerned with realization that my reviews are populated on first page when searching my name

Hello @tobijo, have you seen this post about privacy settings?

https://www.localguidesconnect.com/t5/News-Updates/Flexible-privacy-settings-for-your-Google-Maps-pr...

My guess it will also have an effect on search results.

Check out LetsGuide Podcast | #LGCTM | Please always @Mention me so I see your reply
Former Google Contributor

Re: Concerned with realization that my reviews are populated on first page when searching my name

Hey @tobijo,

Further to the new feature suggested from @JanVanHaver, you can also employ a variety of other ways to secure your Google Profile. More security settings can be found here - Manage your account access and security settings.

Please consider reading this post before sending me a Private Message - Private Messages and Google Moderators
Level 5

@JanVanHaver wrote:

Hello @tobijo, have you seen this post about privacy settings?

https://www.localguidesconnect.com/t5/News-Updates/Flexible-privacy-settings-for-your-Google-Maps-pr...

My guess it will also have an effect on search results.

Thank you for the reply. I will try turning off the setting and see if it helps in a few days. I have a hunch that the issue is specially with google allowing other review sites to embed google reviews.

Level 5

@GeorgesHR wrote:

Hey @tobijo,

Further to the new feature suggested from @JanVanHaver, you can also employ a variety of other ways to secure your Google Profile. More security settings can be found here - Manage your account access and security settings.

Thank you for the reply. Unfortunately, there's too many settings here for me to go through. The simpler solution is for me to remove my google reviews if I can't simply prevent my full name from being used in embedded content on non-google sites. 

Level 5

I am a Local Guide because I love and appreciate Google... not because I want to help other sites with their ad revenue for free.

Level 9

Re: Sites with paid ads are using my reviews and my full name - poor google policy

Hi @tobijo!

What you have posted ; is really a matter of concern . It should not likely to happen .

There must have been a gross violation of of your privacy !!! 

Hope Google will soon step in to resolve it .

Mondrito