PaulPavlinovich's post
cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Connect Moderator

Should Connect be your first perk as a LG at level 2 to reduce spam?

Over the last couple of months the level of spam with people registering on connect with a business name and posting about their business as spam has started to increase. Spam is a problem on every system. We also get nuffies who are probably children who come in post something inane or abusive and are never heard from again.

I've noticed that nearly all of it comes from level 1 as level 2 local guides suggesting they only register to post this spam.

To change this I'm suggesting that at Level 1 you get read only access to Connect except a board dedicated to introduce yourself under getting started. Level 1 LG would drop into this board by default. When you hit level 2 you get your first perk you can post to the rest of getting started and reply to any post. When you reach level 3 you get your second perk and can post on any of the unrestricted boards.

This would reduce the load on the moderators and improve post quality upwards.

Additionally it gives extra perks as a Local Guide progresses early in their career.

4 comments
Level 8

Re: Should Connect be your first perk as a LG at level 2 to reduce spam?

I like this idea @PaulPavlinovich ๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘ I see that the spammers are majority level 1 and at times create more than 1 account to promote themselves 

Connect Moderator

It would be interesting to know how many people register from the same IP in a short range of time @DiAnaUS

Regards

Paul

Level 10

Former Google Contributor

Thanks for the feedback @PaulPavlinovich. This has been shared with the team ๐Ÿ™‚

Local Guides Community Program Manager
Due to the volume of private messages Google Moderators receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. Thank you.