Pablo-S's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 8

Rename pin name/label (Desktop only)

Hi!

This is my first post on here and hopefully of many!

In my working life I work with G Suite and one of the companies I work with are having an strange problem with there locations on maps.

PwC has offices all over the world and many of the offices in Europe are showing up as "PwC Italy" when you search for "PwC Office" only on the desktop web version of maps. (as seen below)

I have attempted to edit the name by doing the following steps:
Go to Map
Then Your place
Click Edit
Rename the Name

But the location already has the correct name.

I have a feeling that Italy may have submitted their company name as PwC Italy and claimed all of these offices.

Is there anything I can do or get them to do to fix this? I have also already submitted feedback.

Kind regards

Pabs

Screen Shot 2017-11-22 at 3.24.08 pm.png

Europe
8 comments
Level 8

Re: Rename pin name/label (Desktop only)

Is there no one with any idea why this is happening? [Bump]

Former Google Contributor

Hi @Pablo-S. I've been unable to replicate. In my case, I don't see PwC Italy, but the name of the actual location.

Local Guides Community Program Manager
Due to the volume of private messages Google Moderators receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. Thank you.
Level 8

Hi @LuisRG I have noticed that is VERY sensitive to the zoom level if you start with a view of europe and make sure you have not selected a single location on the map and only enter PwC in the search start zooming in and you will see the labels change to PwC Italy.
I have just replicated it now again.

Level 8

Hi @Pablo-S,

Please be noted that the POI name being displayed to us, depends on the Language used in Maps.

When I tried checked with "Suggest an Edit", I see some of PwC names in Italian are actuall "PwC Italy".  While some only have local language name.

So, please confirm in which Language you are using with Maps.

Level 8

Hi @YK1001 

Thank you for the quick reply, I am using the EN language (as per the URL).

I was brought to my attention by someone who uses maps in Norway (So I assume it happens on the Norwegian maps to).

Let me know If I can provide you with any further info.

Kind regards

Pablo

Level 8

Hi @Pablo-S,

Strictly speaking, Country origin of Maps Server and the Maps Language used are independant.

https://www.google.it/maps/@22.2395434,114.149869,15z?hl=en

This URL is accessing Italy Maps server in English language.

You can change Maps Language by

- Menu -> Language, then select the Language you want to use.

Level 8

Ah good to know, with that in mind what I mentioned above still stands and includes Netherlands and spain then. 

so to confirm I have reproduced the issue in Norway, netherlands and UK and Spain actually. ( I travel a lot)

Thanks

Level 8

Hi all

Just an update on this:

Most pin seem to now be showing PwC there are two more locations mentioned here with PwC italy in germany, otherwise its seems to be good.

I have managed to get a URL that replicates this issue:

https://www.google.nl/maps/search/pwc/@52.981729,5.2768247,7.14z?hl=en 

Screen Shot 2017-12-21 at 7.06.38 pm.png