CiaranC's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 10

Removing Business Owners Comments when I update my review

Hi There,

I wrote a review of a location & gave a star rating.

The business owner replied.

Several months later I visited again and had a new meal and the location has new experiences that I would recommend - worth mentioning in 1 line in a comment on Google maps.

I add my comment.

The business owners comment disappears - it is like a new rating/review.

I think it would be better to maintain the original text conversation - allowing a line to be added / updated under the original comment to maintain the history of visits/comments to a location. I understand the review needs an option to delete and if the star rating changes - it possibly should become a "new" review.

The way the system is set up at the moment - its cleaner to leave a review done alone - 1 year ago especially if a business owner has a comment on it and I have ratings on it, than update  it again today with a new comment and lose the original visits business owner reply & possibly any rating for that review. I visit many of the same local places every week and I may want to update my experience, but I do not want to lose previous conversations with business owners or ratings on a review.

An option would be to allow the deletion of the original review and add a new one ( current system I guess ) or if the guide would prefer - allow the guide to comment under the original review and business owners comment with an "update on x date". 

Just a thought.I would have updated reviews, but not at the point of resetting them to a be a brand new review - unless something drastic happened to the location. For me - a 2nd  or 3rd visit is an update, not a full review with stars again. An update on the tips and advice for fellow travellers.

Thanks for reading. Cheers, Ciaran

- but would not update a review with a business owners comment on it....

Still learning......and trying to be better. Lets see in 1+ years 🙂
My google map profile is https://www.google.co.uk/maps/contrib/112319770317255529522/photos/@54.1462759,-6.9012176,8z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m3!8m2!3m1!1e1 Thank you for reading my post!
5 comments

Accepted Solutions
Connect Moderator
Solution

Re: Removing Business Owners Comments when I update my review

@CiaranC as @YK1001 maintaining a history would be necessary for your feature request. I'm not sure the feature would be completely useful though as when choosing to go to a place I only look at recent reviews from the last couple of months. Many things change in business for better and worse, older history quickly loses relevancy. 

The reason that the system removes the business owners comment is because it is out of context after you change your wording and could be used in unscrupulous hands to troll the business. If the business is replying then they are using Google My Business and are aware of your history anyway.

Regards

Paul

View solution in original post

Level 8

Hi @CiaranC,

If Maps can maintain the full history of Reviews and Owner's reply, that will be a really as it will help visitors to notice any sudden changes in user's feedbacks.

The current version of the rating / review system, is only capable to show the most recent user feedback towards the business.

Thus if you edit your review, the previous is over written.  And it is logical for the Owner's reply that is specific to the previous review to be removed as well.

Connect Moderator
Solution

@CiaranC as @YK1001 maintaining a history would be necessary for your feature request. I'm not sure the feature would be completely useful though as when choosing to go to a place I only look at recent reviews from the last couple of months. Many things change in business for better and worse, older history quickly loses relevancy. 

The reason that the system removes the business owners comment is because it is out of context after you change your wording and could be used in unscrupulous hands to troll the business. If the business is replying then they are using Google My Business and are aware of your history anyway.

Regards

Paul

Level 10

Thank you for the reply - makes total sense. Learning every day 🙂 Have a great week! Best Regards, Ciaran

My google map profile is https://www.google.co.uk/maps/contrib/112319770317255529522/photos/@54.1462759,-6.9012176,8z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m3!8m2!3m1!1e1 Thank you for reading my post!
Level 10

Thanks Paul, After I posted - I thought the same..it would be easy for some one to write a comment ( possibly nice ) the business says "Thank you" and the reviewer changes their original comment to be "funny" ....sadly the trolls ruin everything! It would be near impossible to have the internet without them. The risk of any damage or trolling this way would definately outweigh being able to edit an original review.

Thank you for your thoughts as well. Nice to get input from 2 others here. Have a great week.

Best Regards,

Ciaran

Connect Moderator

You too mate :). It's always good to chat with people to measure our own thinking on a topic.