MicheIe's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 8

Remove automatic translation in local reviews

Dear all,

I am an italian local guide living in México. All the local reviews are now being translated automatically in Italian, but I prefer reading all of them in their original language by default. How can I revert the change?

México, Messico
11 comments

Accepted Solutions
Former Google Contributor
Solution

Re: Remove automatic translation in local reviews

Thanks for the feedback @MicheIe. I'll pass it along!

Local Guides Community Program Manager
Due to the volume of private messages Google Moderators receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. Thank you.

View solution in original post

Level 10

@MicheleB wrote:

Dear all,

I am an italian local guide living in México. All the local reviews are now being translated automatically in Italian, but I prefer reading all of them in their original language by default. How can I revert the change?

Sorry @MicheIe the translation reflects the language setting in your Google Maps app.

Anyway, did you noticed that along with the translated review you can read the original one directly after?

We are discussing some ideas to improve this tool, here: https://www.localguidesconnect.com/t5/Feedback-and-Feature-Requests/FR-translate-reviews/m-p/122265#...

Level 8

Dear @LucioV

Thanks for your reply. Yes, I have read that thread before posting, but as you can see I'm talking about a different matter. 

Google is assuming that people prefer reading an automatic translation instead of translating the review on their own.

I understand that it might be the case for the random traveller, but to me and many other "local foreigners", as you may put it, this solution is a disaster. No other way to put it. 

I know that you still can have a look at the original post, but the overall experience becomes clumsy and fragmented. It would be SO much better if we simply had the option to turn it off. 

As a moderator, could you please escalate the issue to someone in Google? 

Level 10

I understand @MicheIe i also prefer to read reviews in English (i appreciate other translations!).

I'm not a moderator so i cannot escalate this request, but this board is been monitored by Googlers, so i hope that all the feedbacks we are providing for the automatic translation tool will reach the right team!

Lucio

Level 7

Hi @MicheIe, it's a good idea to have option available in the Google Maps to turn the Automatic Translation on or off for easy reading.

Hi @LucioV, I have plan to post my future reviews in different languages (which i know). , Hopefully, I will get a chance to update my previous submissions as well 🙃

Former Google Contributor
Solution

Thanks for the feedback @MicheIe. I'll pass it along!

Local Guides Community Program Manager
Due to the volume of private messages Google Moderators receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. Thank you.
Level 8

Thank you very much @LuisRG, I know that every change upsets somebody and I'm sorry to be that somebody, but automatic translations are really a pain for me, and if it was possible to turn them off, that would be great!! 

Have a nice day and fingers crossed on the matter! 

Level 7

@EjazS wrote:

Hi @LucioV, I have plan to post my future reviews in different languages (which i know). , Hopefully, I will get a chance to update my previous submissions as well 🙃

Hi @LucioV, check this please.

I used English and Urdu in the reviews. Seems ok?

IMG_4308.PNG

Level 10

@EjazS wrote:

@EjazS wrote:

Hi @LucioV, check this please.

I used English and Urdu in the reviews. Seems ok?

IMG_4308.PNG

Double language looks good, only, please, try to be more specific in the review, write about your experience, not only generic informations you can find using Google 😉

Level 7

Hi @LucioV, I do agree with you the actual reviews should have more detail for others to have better idea about the place. 

However, I don't see all the time it's necessary to write long paragraphs about something that can be explained in one sentence 😜

By the way I do appreciate your swift responses and usual positive feedback. Like a star always 😊