YK1001's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 8

Regarding Drinking-Water Fountain in Maps to help reduce Plastic Watse due to Bottled Water.

First of all, the Maps Place Category "Drinking-Water Fountain" "飲水台" means this kind of places to me:

Image from https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drinking_fountainImage from https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drinking_fountain

As this Category is avilable when adding missing places in Hong Kong, provided all other Maps requirements are met, we as Local Guide is allowed to add those Drinking-Water Fountains in Hong Kong.

Please correct me if I am wrong.

Via Google Search, we can easily learn more why reduce the use of Bottled Water helps a lot to reduce the Plastic Watse crysis we are having.

https://www.banthebottle.net/bottled-water-facts/

Thus Google Maps should create nearby search item for Drinking-Water Fountain, to help user to locate nearby Drinking-Water Fountains to refill.

Currently, when doing a search using "Drinking-Water Fountain", only some random POI is returned.  Not even one Drinking-Water Fountain is find.

Are you have the same search result in your region?

17 comments
Level 10

Re: Regarding Drinking-Water Fountain in Maps to help reduce Plastic Watse due to Bottled Water.

Well, @YK1001, I tried a search in my area and got to a POI which should rather be a spring than a real fountain you showed. We also have those too, however not too many unfortunately. So I got your idea and tried to add one that I know exists but was immediately (automatically) rejected. To me it seems that Google does not like this category (there are some that I know...).

Level 8

Re: Regarding Drinking-Water Fountain in Maps to help reduce Plastic Watse due to Bottled Water.

Thank you for the testing results, @Csaba!

I remember added some near my home that got published.

I will add one  today when I encounter one.

Level 10

What did you add as a "name", @YK1001? Our fountains do not have distinctive names (like many other things that are worth on the map do not have either...).

Connect Moderator

G'Day @YK1001 my "real" job is in the water industry and I can say that in most places in the world that bottled water is just a really expensive way to buy water the same water that comes out of the tap. Generally the bottled water is supplied by the local water authority, bottled and sold to suckers. In the cities where there is good drinking water you won't catch me buying bottled water unless I need a bottle in which case I'll head to a supermarket to minimise the cost.

We do have "Drinking Water Fountain" in our categories in Australia. Searching I only found one, perhaps it's time for a bit of a crusade.

Regards Paul

Level 8

Well, I am sure my "behavior" is not perfect.

As Public Toilet can be named as Public Toilet, I will just name Drinking-Water Fountain as Drinking-Water Fountain.

They are both established by our Government, and free for all to use.

Connect Moderator

I think just naming it Drinking Water Fountain is fine unless it really does have a name - or perhaps it is in a park, you could name it for the park with Drinking Water Fountain on the end @Csaba

Level 9

I've tried to add Drinking-Water Fountain on numerous occasions in various locations but every time it's reviewed, it's rejected even though I always provide a photo as evidence of its existence at the location specified. I also do the same for BBQ Area and typically have the same result. Not sure why these places aren't being added. Here's an example as per the attached image of one recently rejected. As per the icons on the tap you can see you can either directly drink from it or fill a bottle too...20180611_131545_resized.jpg

Connect Moderator

Hi @codonoghue how are you setting the address? If you give it a general address with just a spot on the map it is likely to fail. If you give it the real street address of the location then set the pointer to the exact place I would expect you to have a reasonable success rate.

Regards Paul

Level 6

Water Refill Stations

Hi Team,

We are installing a larger number of free filtered water bottle refill stations in public places and wanted to know if there was a "best practice" for displaying these. IE, what are they called globally "Water refill stations", "Water fill stations", etc? The stations will have 2x bottle fill and 1 fountain. Some with dog bowl also. At the end of the program, we aim to have a number of new stations and integrate the network of current bubblers.IMG_2931.jpg

We are also signing up business to become "Refill stations" and increase foot traffic into their businesses. If there was a tag we could use for these businesses that would be ideal.