YK1001's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Former Google Contributor

Re: Water Refill Stations

Hi @MrDavo and welcome to Connect!

There is an ongoing thread regarding this topic and I'm sure you are going to find a lot of useful tips, which have been already provided from our fellow Local Guides.

As for the second part of your message, please note that for all business related activities, it would be best if you reach out to the Google My Business Help Forum. If you are not familiar what Google My Business is and you want to learn more about this program, feel free to check their official page.

One last thing, I moved your post to the relevant thread, as this will help reduce clutter and avoid confusion for other Local Guides.

Due to the volume of private messages Google Moderators receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!

Level 6

Thank you!

Level 9

DavidG it sounds like a great idea!

When it comes to naming them, as Local Guides, we cannot add them to Google Maps unless they have a specific name.

I've tried numerous times to add them as generic "Drinking Fountains", "Refill Stations" etc. All of them get knocked back, unless the fountain has an actual name. Here's a couple of named Drinking Fountains:

https://goo.gl/maps/aPhUUG46Kgr

and...

https://goo.gl/maps/1ijEAQAGn242

This is important as you want the locations of your newly added drinking fountains to be visible on Google Maps to assist the public. Adding them to Google Maps would really help everyone.

In terms of category, we usually add them to Google Maps as "Drinking Water Fountain".

Connect Moderator

Does the city publish a list of them @codonoghue? I know the ones around Melbourne came from the State Government Water Authorities (I work for one in my day job) and they along with the public toilets were provided to Google as a bulk data set. Perhaps your city might be willing to do that?

Level 6

We are about to install a large number of stations, and would be great to be able to provide a bulk list of fountains  and water fill stations. How does one go about doing this?

Connect Moderator

Businesses do it this way https://support.google.com/business/answer/3370250 I'm sure there used to be a bulk method for city authorities too but I cannot find the help article. I will query and get back to you @MrDavo

Level 6

Thanks Paul, we are the Water Authority in our catchment  - so this info would be very useful

Connect Moderator

I've asked internally about this. I've asked the Googlers to reach out to you if they find out how to do it @MrDavo. Be patient as this might take a while the Local Guides and Maps teams obviously talk but they're different teams.