SumuduH's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 8

Re: Reduce the size of a picture quickly

@AnuradhaP

Thank you for the further explanation. I appreciate it.
I had noticed that the share URL from GDrive changes once you open a document or image, but had not appreciated that that last URL is also not necessarily an absolute URL (or if it is, may not be approached directly).

I am not familiar with the ins- and outs of Lithium, but I am a bit surprised that the company that provides this forum-community-product is not providing its customer Google with an integration of Google Drive, using the available API's... I am sure they are able. If Google had chosen an open-source solution, they could have easily fixed it themselves.

To be honest, I am a little disappointed.

Best wishes and best regards,

Jero

Level 8

YES! I'm finding uploading on connect to be extremely frustrating because of size limitations. All my uploads and pictures are taken from and by my phone. I didn't think there would be a size issue considering its not from a professional camera. I find myself having to screenshot my photo and then having to crop it just to be able to upload. It's too much work.

Level 9

I support this. If Local Guides team doesn't have a plan to improve the file size limit of each photo then please integrate a tool that can automatically reduce or resize the file size our photos. Please be informed that we only uses any tool that can be found online, I am not even sure if the one I used is safe. As per other Local Guides, an embedded photo from Google Drive or Google Photos is also a great idea. 

cc: @TraciC@YanniY

Level 10

@SumuduH Great idea. I noticed that the Line app does picture resizes almost instantly, and allows almost any size of original upload. So hopefully this board implements a similar technology, so we don't have to resize pictures before uploading.

Level 8

Hi @JeroenM,

There is at least two type of links:

- One is the Shared Link from Google Drive or Google Photo.  They are a hashed link to reach something - by this link is not direct accessible by HTTP or FTP.

- Another is the traditional direct link, so for images, the will always end with .JPG, .PNG, etc.

In Connect, we can only use those traditional direct link to images.

Level 8

回應: Reduce the size of a picture quickly

Hi @SumuduH,

Before such a resize on upload is available in Connect, in Android, I use this app:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.simplemobilephotoresizer

Level 8

@YK1001,

Thank you for the clarification. 

Of course my point about the Lithium platform not having a plugin to allow us to use our own Google Drive still stands. I have worked with a number of Content Management Systems (CMS) over the years, and they all seem to be very efficient in adding functionality with a little bit of coding. There are all kinds of apps on the market that allow adding content from ones dropbox, Gdrive, etc. in their app, with Google as their customer, even if the API of Gdrive is not usable to them, they should be able to fix this easily.

The fact that @LucioV went to Flicr and was not able to stay with Google solutions shows to me that something is amiss. 

Level 8

The ability to direct add photos from Google Photo to Connect has been the top feature request.

I will not hold my breath to wait for it though!

Former Google Contributor

Hi @JeroenM, thanks for your feedback - it is a known limitation and we hope to work on it.

Level 9

I would 100000% agree!

Apart from the fact that resizing each picture is frustrating and takes much time mostly, it might also hinder user's excitement of sharing!

Users want something fast and efficient to encourage them to post, and auto resize is the only convenient way!