IbanV's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 7

Ratings vs reviews - ratings are redundant

I know the difference between ratings and reviews, but it's my belief that ratings are redundant.  I mean: why bother giving a rating if you don't want to explain why you gave that rating?  It's very easy to give only 1 star when you're not sattisfied with a certain location (for whatever reason), but by just giving a rating, other users have no idea why that rating was given and neither does the owner of the location, which makes it impossible to avoid the problem in the future.

Personally I would like to see the rating-only system disappear; no rating without a review, simple as that.  And reviews of at least 10 words, because less than that is obviously insufficient to explain why the rating was given.

Note: I saw on my profile that I had several reviews (25 at that time) and no ratings, so to get rid of that "0" I gave a rating to a location.  It's nice to have a "1" next to ratings on my profile, but it doesn't feel right...

3 comments
Level 9

Re: Ratings vs reviews - ratings are redundant

Hi @IbanV,

You're right. 

Thank you so much for your advice and this helpful post. 

We all are learning here. It is a good lesson for me. 

Google Maps and Chrome Product Expert.

Always use @ before name to tag anyone on the Connect.
Level 6

That's right! some people just write 'GOOD' in their reviews and that's just not enough to describe how you feel for a place because obviously every place is 'good' in some way.

Connect Moderator

Thank you for sharing your thought with us @IbanV

I agree with you about rating, and about a minimum numbers of words for every review, even if I have seen several long review (all flagged of course) integrally copied from Internet.

"0" rating without a review is a Wonderful number. Congratulations

Ermes