Amiran's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 10

Prevent from copy pasted reviews

Hi all,

As I previously mentioned, that additional 5 point for more than 200 characters reviews caused huge amount of copy pasted reviews! Some users copy descriptions from Wikipedia or "About Us" page of the website of companies and paste is in review section of the place on the map! Even in some cases they write such reviews without experience it.

Maybe you know or not but this is clearly opposite of Google Maps and Local Guides guidelines to copy content and paste it as our review! Because review should be really our personal review and experience.

These days I see many users and specially for more famous places you see many same reviews on top! Just an example, Check Azadi Tower in Iran and besides some real reviews, see 9 same Persian reviews as top reviews! This is really bad situation on the map!

We can easily google long reviews and find the resource and we report such users.

Some users don't know that writing copied review is wrong and in other fields like photography has good contributions so banning their account is not so good.

I have a suggestion, There can be an automatic system to search review on the map and if it finds more than (for example) 10 respective words in web results, then do not let user to add such review.

Or at least Google can warn users to read reviewing guidelines before posting reviews.

That can help prevent from many repetetive and copied reviews.

@BruceDM

Amir | Join us on IranLocalGuides
5 comments
Former Google Contributor

Re: Prevent from copy pasted reviews

Hello @Amiran - Thank you for reaching out on this. Your request is certainly something that we have not overlooked and we're always working on new improvements to our filters. I know you are aware but i'm sharing this post once more for others who are curious about reporting content on Google Maps.

I am not available to respond on the weekend
Level 10

Thank you for your kindness dear @BruceDM

I'm waiting for new update in this case. Until that the only way is reporting 🙂 

Level 8

@Amiran

What I like about your feature request is that you suggest an interactive system where the AI of Google either educates people after making poor contributions or warn people before they get eventually (if they continue to break the rules) banned from the LG program.

Not every Local Guides is on Connect or informed about the content of the (changing) Help pages.

Giving Map users (not just Local Guides) automated feedback and warnings could be a great improvement in educating Local Guides about what is desired and what is not.

Google Search (of course more mature than Maps) is perfectly capable of recognizing duplicate content online. It should be a small step to use that intelligence in Maps algorithms as well.

Great suggestion!

JeroenM

Level 10

Yes @JeroenM, You're right. All users of Google Maps aren't on Connect and aren't accurately aware about the guidelines. So these methods can help to have reasonable map.

Thank

Level 10

I report spammers but in fact no attention to my recent reports. I see two Level 10 spammers who're continuing to their spams contain copy pasted reviews, fake ratings and adding emoji to name field of places.