FlailingArmsMan's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 6

Postcode address segments are being rearranged - why?

I've noticed an issue recently whereby local places that I'm adding or editing - via the browser or Android app - are having part of their address rearranged so that part of the postcode (which is usually towards the end of an address) is moved to the beginning of the address, such that it no longer makes sense and causes a quality issue. How can I prevent this rearrangement from occurring?

See here for an example: https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/Mr+Basrai's+Blackpool/@53.8200916,-3.0491298,15z/data=!4m5!3m4!1...

3QX is meant to follow FY1, but instead appears on the first line of the address.

5 comments
Level 9
Level 9

Re: Postcode address segments are being rearranged - why?

This has been happening for years, I reported it on the MapMaker forum in 2015 and was told the issue was already known and had been escalated 

Level 6

Huh... You'd think they'd want to fix something that has their search engine return incorrect information.

Presumably I'm fine to continually submit edits until the info is displayed properly? I've noticed a few more edits than usual have been held up in review recently.

Level 9
Level 9

Carry on submitting edits, so long as you are inputting the correct info then you're doing the right thing. Perhaps try closing the postcode gap (if you used one) to FY13QX. Or until March you can make the edit via MapMaker which uses a specific postcode field rather than freehand address entry.

Btw if you're editing that listing then the name should really be "Mr Basrai's" not "Mr Basrai's Blackpool". The word Blackpool is a location descriptor and not required. A better url would be http://www.mrbasrai.com/blackpool/ as it's specific to this branch. 

Level 5

Sounds like a software engineer needs a Form P45 or maybe a form P 45 😂

I'm also experiencing this issue. Shocking really given how close google are to closing Map Maker. Funny, when you think about it; largest software company in the world is unable to handle 'international' postcodes. 

I'd be embarrassed if I was the VP of Google Maps Engineering. 

@PhilipF wrote:

This has been happening for years, I reported it on the MapMaker forum in 2015 and was told the issue was already known and had been escalated 

Level 5

Thanks for flagging this. It happens in all UK postcodes when there is a house number as well. eg. a block of flats or a business that needs a house number, then it moves the 2nd half of the postcode to the front before the house number. I've reported it so many times. If you try and correct it, it reverts back and thanks you for the correction!! Grrrr

@FlailingArmsMan wrote:

I've noticed an issue recently whereby local places that I'm adding or editing - via the browser or Android app - are having part of their address rearranged so that part of the postcode (which is usually towards the end of an address) is moved to the beginning of the address, such that it no longer makes sense and causes a quality issue. How can I prevent this rearrangement from occurring?

See here for an example: https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/Mr+Basrai's+Blackpool/@53.8200916,-3.0491298,15z/data=!4m5!3m4!1...

3QX is meant to follow FY1, but instead appears on the first line of the address.