PaulPavlinovich's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Connect Moderator

Please regionalise Maps questions take out vs take away

In Australia we call it take away. Screenshot_20170908-195757.png

It would be cool for this aspect of Maps to reflect local cultures.

Regards Paul

10 comments

Accepted Solutions
Connect Moderator
Solution

Re: Please regionalise Maps questions take out vs take away

I got some understanding of how this works from one of the Googlers, the list you see depends on your localisation, in the Maps App it will (should) take your device location and language settings to choose what you see. In web it may take it from the brower or from the PC and because the location isn't generally (reliably) available on PC it may only take the language settings into account so you may see something different. The complexities of internationalisation of any system are considerable.

Regards Paul

View solution in original post

Level 9

https://www.tenor.co/OQ86.gif 

Yes @PaulPavlinovich In India it's also known as take away. Many times I ignored this question but thank you for flagging this issue. 

Google Maps and Chrome Product Expert.

Always use @ before name to tag anyone on the Connect.
Level 8

Hi  @PaulPavlinovich,

Did you notice that Google has updated the flagging feature of these Quick Questions?
It now asks:

What's wrong with this question:

- The wording is strange or unclear.

- The question isn't relevant for this place

- The question isn't appropriate for my country

- The set of questions is redundant or confusing

- This place is permanently closed.

The last one, I find a bit strange in this context, but the other options listed above are a big improvement on the feedback that one could give before.

Cheers,  Jeroen

Connect Moderator

Hi @JeroenM yes I have seen that and used it a few times :).

Thanks

Connect Moderator

Interestingly I noticed on desktop (Maps Web it is Take Away in the questions :).... Maps App - why are you different?

Level 8

Interesting observation indeed.

One would have thought that with the somewhat bad experience of having multiple category databases for different platforms in the past, that with the New Maps, Google would centralize these kinds of things. Surely it must be more work to maintain/ manage multiple databases of questions?

Connect Moderator
Solution

I got some understanding of how this works from one of the Googlers, the list you see depends on your localisation, in the Maps App it will (should) take your device location and language settings to choose what you see. In web it may take it from the brower or from the PC and because the location isn't generally (reliably) available on PC it may only take the language settings into account so you may see something different. The complexities of internationalisation of any system are considerable.

Regards Paul

Level 8

@PaulPavlinovich that makes a lot more sense, so at least it is not maintaining multiple databases for different platforms, but instead a different result in the "filter" that is applied due to localization issues.

I live on one of the Canary Islands which is part of Spain, we are closer to the Sahara than we are to Spain and have a different time-zone. Somehow both my phone-provider and the IP address for my desktop think I live in Madrid. So that would be a perfect example where the localization still goes wrong in the system. Of course, Google knows better with the GPS on my phone 😉

Thank you for sharing this insight, Paul. Always happy to learn 🙂

Level 10

Hi @PaulPavlinovich don't forget to send this as a feedback on Google Maps. I also faced something similar to yours recently and the Google Moderators recommended to me to send a feedback through the Google Maps as it would be easier for the team to look at it. Here is a similar link:https://www.localguidesconnect.com/t5/Feedback-and-Feature-Requests/Wrong-Question-Showing-On-Superm...

Level 10

@PaulPavlinovich Even in Nigeria we call it take away. The problem maps is facing is English. Just as you said regionalize it,  very good. In addition to your feedback, the engineers should confirm questions from countries to countries or region to region to find the correct and adequate questions that are been used. There are many ways this can be achieved as well, 1 way is to organize workshop seminars inviting local guides to participate and give them this feedback, let the Google engineers come handy and ask such questions. This is not hard to achieve. If one of this method can be applied globally. Google Map will be best, accurate, and authentic.

Regards