JoyHawkins's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 10

Re: Please Add the Ability to Undo Edits

@WetCoastCanuck @JeroenM

With my limited knowledge of programming, I do understand the world of Databases. Google Maps is built on a database, with each object having a unique record number. Using the queue analogy, there is a table or list of record numbers, likely along with a "type of edit" code. When a person is working the queue, they delete the oldest record from that table, and the rest of the list moves up. In an undo/cancel situation, the record number of the canceled transaction is deleted, and the rest move up.

Your concern over errors related to duplication applies in a static type environment, but in databases there are unique tools in the functionality of the database engine that makes such an error as you describe improbable if not impossible.

In the end, I concur with Joy on the need of an undo function, and can tell you there's no technical limitation that would stop one from being implemented (even the now closed Map Maker had an undo function)

M. W. Jones -- Former Map Maker Regional Lead, United States
Level 10

@JoyHawkins wrote:

This morning I made an edit to an address in Google Maps and when I got the email confirming my edit, the way Google took what I inputted was completely wrong and wasn't at all what I was trying to do.  I was trying to change the zip code on an address but the email showed the zip somehow getting added as a suite number before the address line.  Clearly this edit is going to get denied and I could save everyone time by just undoing it if there was such an option.

Request #2 would be to have different fields for the different items (suite #, zip code, city name etc) like MapMaker used to so this doesn't happen again.  

Yesterday I did a wrong suggestion update, and I was lucky enough got not applied, but this feature is strongly needed.

Level 7

Absolutely, ability to edit or cancel edits is needed asap. 

http://www.google.com/maps/contrib/110215085108443849573/
Level 6

Same here!

I just got out of a bar, pulled my phone from my pocket, and saw a notification from Google Maps: "Your edit has been applied". I just involuntarily marked the place as closed. I had my GMaps open on that place (for directions) and it was a bad coincidence that I butt-edited it the wrong way.

Got home, looked for "undo/cancel my GMaps edits" on Google, but alas, the feature doesn't exist. The mistaken edit is marked as "Applied", but I hope it won't have negative consequences on the business.

Level 10

@Levels this forum is not likely being monitored by Google any more, since the launch of the redesigned LocalGuidesConnect website.

This feature has already been suggested in the Idea Exchange, and you can show your support by voting for and adding comments to the idea there:

https://www.localguidesconnect.com/t5/All-Ideas/Ability-to-Cancel-Pending-Edits/idi-p/694543

M. W. Jones -- Former Map Maker Regional Lead, United States