Prdeep's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 8

Places name are wrongly Auto translated in Hindi and other regional languages

I am observing places on Google Map are Automatically translated in regional languages too. But in most places (approx. 70% plus) the translation is appearing wrong / meaningless / different meaning.

Dear Google Family,

I think this issue should be taken urgent and on priority too. Please arrange to do the needful. 

I observed this issue in Hindi & Punjabi languages and might be in other languages (except English). I corrected many but correcting all places is surely a never ending task for any local guide.

Thanks.

Haryana, India
17 comments
Level 7

Re: Places name are wrongly translated in Hindi and other regional languages

Request that Google Moderators also address the issue of whether there are any languages used in South Asia that Google will not support.  

There are quite a few posts in the Google Help forum asking for the support of the Kannada language.  So, far no answers from Google, either way.

Level 10

@Prdeep wrote:

might be in other languages 

I've come across many absurd translations in Malayalam on Maps. And I'm correcting them in my free time. 

Like you said, correcting them is a never ending task considering that new incorrect translations are making way to Maps 

Going by Google moderator @PremPaul's post, Local Guides Team is aware of the issue and they're working on it. Let's hope it's addressed soon

🙂 

Former Google Contributor

Hi @Prdeep

Thanks for flagging this. Please use the "Suggest an edit" feature in Google Maps. As a reminder, this will only work on points of interest and not for cities. 

Many thanks.

* Due to the volume of private messages please note that I do not reply to them
Level 8

Hi @MariaBi ,

Many thanks for your quick response.

Yes, using "Suggest an edit" is the best option for such edits and I am using it always. Also "send feedback" is a good option to flag/submit any issue.

But as I have stated that language correction is never ending task for any local guide. Because there are many thousands places which will come in the share of "single local guide" in any single Indian City.

(all know India's population).

Anyway ,I am always correcting and suggesting others. Google team might have been already working on this auto translating issue.

God bless

Level 10

Hi @MariaBi and @Prdeep, I have already raised the issue on 28th June, 2017 in this feedback section. Also I have suggested the solution. Instead of translation Google should consider transliteration using Unicode software meant for the Indian languages. As the names of the Place of Interest are proper nouns and proper nouns are supposed to be transliterated and not translated as generally presumed.

Following is the link of my post (28 June, 2017)

Use UNICODE for translating English words into Indian Languages

Level 8

@AjitW Yes , Ajit Ji. In your post, you have described and addressed the issue very well organized.

1. I request Google Team to resolve this issue on top priority.

Because I have seen people ((NOT Local Guides)) to make FUN of these translations and changes in Google Apps work style. Such situations embarrass us a lot and there hiding that we are LGs becomes MUST. 

2. I completely agree and support your suggestion to use Google Transliterate instead of Translation.

I ever use to use Transliterate which is a brilliant too.

Thanks.

Level 8

@MariaBi 

I have edited the hundreds plus places (village name specially).

But not a single correction approved yet. 

More than a month passed.

I am also observing the places which I have corrected more than 6 months ago have not been approved yet. Hindi auto translation of these places are totally appearing odd and meaningless. 

Please take these issues on top priority. 

Thanks a lot.

Level 8

+1 this so-called 'feature' is pure lunacy and those who thought it was a good idea to implement and deploy should be fired on the spot.

It serves NO purpose, it just makes a mess of the maps at a scale impossible and useless to correct by hand.

Level 8

@MariaBi

OH !!

Five (5) months passed. Things are still the same. " Suggest an edit" and "Send Feedback" options are not applicable or not working in this case.

Dear friends @deepakjhic @BishowvijayaP @AjitW @LStefanoL can you please tag moderators and other concerned local guides. 

@BishowvijayaP Nepali and other languages having similar "writing" as Hindi might have the same issue ?

Thanks for your time