g1eb's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 7

Pictures vs. Video

Are there any plans to add video to google maps in the near future?

I take lots of pictures, though not all of them are as great as I want them to be.

You know when you see something great - like a message in a bottle - you try to capture that in a perfect shot.

I even take multiple shots to make sure at least one of the pictures is level, has decent lighting and has no distracting objects somewhere in it.

This process should be natural instead of self-conscious, instead it is annoying and becomes an ordeal more often that it should be.

As an experiment I decided I would make a short video everytime I want to take a picture (last couple months).

The inaccurate moving of the camera makes for a more natural and dynamic image and adds imo soo much to the experience.

I've started playing with transitions like swish/whip pans and such and even used some of the clips in my local guides summit video 🙂

The process of working with video reminded me of how creative and engaging working with video can be.

I'm interested in the different experiences you have when it comes to pictures and video.

How would you use one or another to augment your contributions in different scenarios?

In what kind of situation would a picture be more appropriate?

Amsterdam, Netherlands
4 comments
Former Google Contributor

Re: Pictures vs. Video

Hi @g1eb, in which situation would you use a video? In the past, it has been shared here to add video for reviews. Do you mean something like that or something even broader in scope?

Local Guides Community Program Manager
Due to the volume of private messages Google Moderators receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. Thank you.
Level 7

Hi Luis, good question! 🙂

Indeed I am referring primarily to reviews, the same way pictures are used at the moment. I was wondering what other local guides think about this, how they would use video if it was possible.

I think it becomes increasingly useful in situations where movement is an important part of the experience. It also makes for a more natural representation of a place or experience imo.

In an earlier post Anna shares some tips on using camera angles. Expanding on that I can imagine video being helpful when it comes to showing an overview of a large location (big squares/plazas, cathedrals, etc.) as well as capturing movement (for example the crowd or steam when it comes to pictures with delicious dishes mmm 😋) This could be just a start, I can imagine 360 video in reviews would combine all benefits of 360 pictures and dynamicity of video.

Level 5
Level 5

So true. I have the same thoughts about adding video to the review

Former Google Contributor

Thanks for clarifying @g1eb 🙂 I'll note your feedback down 🙂

Local Guides Community Program Manager
Due to the volume of private messages Google Moderators receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. Thank you.