mandin82's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 8

Perk system overhaul URGENT (Drive space, gamify)

Good evening.

Several months back when I started in the Local Guides community, it stroked me as awesome all the perks that Google was giving away to help them build their database.  I jumped on board and started uploading reviews, photos and making edits with care and usefulness in mind.  I quickly beat the barrier that gave me the 1TB perk on Google Drive.  Honestly, it was too easy:  the amount of work you needed to get the perk was too little, and that's reason why I think Google ended up pulling it out...it was just not justifiable to give away such an awesome perk for a few reviews and photo uploads.

Now, that perk was given for a finite amount of time, during which many changes have been made to the Local Guides program.  Level calculation changed drastically (for the better, if you ask me), but perks started dwindling into the meaningless pit.  What is Google offering right now?  "Recognition" via a badge, and some Google Play perk that is only useful if your interested in Google Music and a discount when renting a movie.  Honestly, it's laughable that Google, with it's array of products to offer, only has these two perks to offer.

Now then, let's come back to the Google Drive perk.  All this time I kept contributing to the map database with the hope that Google would get back the Drive perk.  It was in my best interest that they did, since I love most Google products but I don't have the money to pay a subscription for 1TB of Drive.  It was a risk I took while still hoping that Google would come to their senses and offer something similar for people that really contributed big-time to the map.  Unfortunately, my wait was in vain and Google hasn't delivered.

And I honestly can't believe no one brought this up to them.  Take a look at my figures, for example.  I'm right now a Level 8 Local Guide, with around 18,000 points.  I've written 465 reviews (most of those above the 25-line threshold, all with useful information about the place), I've uploaded more than 1,200 photos, made almost 250 edits, created more than 100 new places, and answered more than 5,000 questions about places.  That is A LOT of time and effort put into their product, time that Google doesn't realize I could've spent in any other app or service.  I could've chosen to use Foursquare (their gamifying system is awesome), TripAdvisor (which has one of the most loyal user base and in many places out-does Google on POI information), or just chosen to lose my time in Facebook (no real gain there)...but I chose to spend it on their Maps app because they had something to give back...something that really doesn't cost them that much and that unfortunately for people like me does make a difference (I'm talking about the Drive space, in case you lost me 😉

Those are HOURS I spent contributing to the Maps app and they, better than most, should understand the value of information.  I understand that in the beginning they were giving away the space for free, but for users at my level, they should really re-consider giving back SOMETHING.  And I'm not talking about just Drive space:  the gamifying aspect of the Local Guides program is also bare-bone, if you ask me.  Adding a badge? Meh...  Adding badges for different types of contributions?  Getting better...  Comparing your score against your friends?  Interesting...  Top contributors charts per city?  Now we're talking!!!  And YET the last two have yet to come.

Google, if someone out there is reading this, PLEASE reconsider the Drive perk and in general revisiting how you want to convince people to join your Local Guides program.  The Drive perk was awesome and I believe we users in Level 8 and beyond that have given so much time out of our lives to contribute to the Map deserve it.

Your friend and contributor,

Armando

Monterrey, Mexico
2 comments
Connect Moderator

Re: Perk system overhaul URGENT (Drive space, gamify)

Hi @mandin82 I understand that you're unhappy the drive perk finished. Like you my storage is back down to my default level. However, I must ask you to edit your post and not suggest violence against the Google Local Guides team "...And I honestly can't believe no one has smacked some sense into them..." this is completely unacceptable wording for this forum which is warm and welcoming to everyone and never abusive. Please edit the post to remove the violent wording or I will have to remove it.

Regards Paul

Level 7

Re: Perk system overhaul URGENT (Drive space, gamify)

I totally agree with you ArmandoA, I've just been stung by this. I'll be locked out of Gmail in a couple of days if I don't pay up or crappify/compress my images.