DanielTh's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 10

Need more reasons to 'Report a Problem'

Team,

In google maps, I've noticed that lot of users upload unnecessary or irrelevant images to mark a place. With 'Report a problem', there are few reasons to select. Not all options come up for a picture. Also, the captcha makes it even longer to report an issue.

I'm of the opinion that we need to have a simpler way to report all images which are misleading to fasten the process of improving maps.

Let me know your thoughts on this.

Regards,

Thumaty Daniel

3 comments
Former Google Contributor

Re: Need more reasons to 'Report a Problem'

Thanks for the feedback @DanielTh. If you see that a photo doesn't belong to a place, you can flag the photo individually, so there you'll find more reasons as to why that photo doesn't belong to that place.

In any case, we are aware that LGs care about photo quality and this is something we have on our minds.

Local Guides Community Program Manager
Due to the volume of private messages Google Moderators receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. Thank you.
Level 9

@DanielTh wrote:

Team,

In google maps, I've noticed that lot of users upload unnecessary or irrelevant images to mark a place. With 'Report a problem', there are few reasons to select. Not all options come up for a picture. Also, the captcha makes it even longer to report an issue.

I'm of the opinion that we need to have a simpler way to report all images which are misleading to fasten the process of improving maps.

Let me know your thoughts on this.

Regards,

Thumaty Daniel

"Report a problem - Not relevant at this location" this is the only option to mark good photos published on the wrong site. We need a better option: to be able to move the photo to the spot where it belongs. It can be done via moving the pin or by the name of the place.

Today I scrutinized one one iconic place in Uppsala "St Per Gallerian". Ca 60 photos and half of them are taken at the "Stora Torget" the most famous place of the town, 200 yards away. There is one photo showing just railway. There are photos taken in the vicinity, but away from the Galleria, e.g. a photo of Burger King on the opposite corner when St Per is behind me. I left the dancers because in connection with carneval before the Galleria there used to be a scene.

I guess the purpose of the photos in Google Maps is to document the very spot, photos showing something other sites shold be erased or moved. Most photos are OK, it is a pity to remove them. It should be a smooth way for trusted Local Gudies to mark the photos for move.

After 10 proposals the I am not a robot starts to be very suspicious and shows puzzle to identify vehicles, street signs. I understand the purpose, but  it is deterring me from the cleanup.

One can think that it is not a big deal when photos are misplaced but it is against the basic idea. What about selfies? Two dudes smiling, no recognizable building in the background, such a photo should go. On the other hand food, pastries served in the Gallerias cafeteria is alright.

Level 10

Boujour @DanielTh,

C'est un problème que je rencontre souvent. Pour exemple, la suppression des photos ne correspondant pas a un lieu à côté de chez moi à pris plusieurs mois. 

Je trouve que les internautes ou certains guides locaux ne font pas attention. Et cela nuit à la qualité de l'information. C'est dommage.

C'est une super bonne nouvelle pour nous @LuisRG si vous réfléchissez à une solution. 

Il serait intéressant d'intégrer dans la validation le niveau d'un guide local pour la prise de décision.

Qu'en pensez-vous ?

Impatient de connaître les nouvelles propositions.

Bonnes contributions à tous