aka_Rὁn's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 7

NEW CATEGORY : Takeaway Restaurant (only)

I have been adding reviews to a number of takeaway only venues which are in our local community and are already classed (wrongly) as restaurants on Google Maps.

As a result of this I am faced with a series of questions put by the automated system which make no sense in terms of a takeaway only venue and could lead to a number of false impressions.

One of these is the issue of wheelchair seating.      

Most of the takeaway restaurants do not have seating of any kind and so the question about wheelchair seating makes no sense and could lead to a false impression if data is used to determine support for those with mobility issues.

There is also a related question about wheelchair lifts which is irrelevant to premises which are at ground level only.

Just a thought.

■ "Quis custodiet ipsos custodes ?" ■ "Who watches the watchers ?" ■ the satirical poet, Juvenal ■ 1st century Rome ■
UK
4 comments
Connect Moderator

Re: NEW CATEGORY : Takeaway Restaurant (only)

Hello @aka_Rὁn, for some subtypes of restaurants, there are separate categories for takeaway: Chinese takeaway and Pizza takeaway. But Takeaway restaurant in general indeed seems not to be in the list.

Check out LetsGuide Podcast | #LGCTM | Please always @Mention me so I see your reply
Level 7

I realised that it wasn't a separate category YET which is why I suggested that it become so.

My chief concern is the ways in which the core data could be misinterpreted through the pollution of the stats by irrelevant questions.

Most of my volunteer work in the UK is with disability charities and I would not like to see a situation develop where certain takeaway restaurants were wrongly listed as those which had not seating for wheelchair users when they don't have any seating for anyone at all.

Can you see what I am trying to get at ?

We are sleepwalking into a zombiesque tick-box culture where human intelligence is being kicked to the kerb and black-and-white stats are becoming increasingly dominant.

It is not just happening online but across the board and so it needs to be challenged whenever it becomes irrelevant, too dominant or even oppressive.

My own responses are probably coloured by my dealing with official-dumb on a daily basis as an advocate for those with disabilities who are being robbed of their rights.

Please forgive me if this at times spills over into my reactions to what sometimes appear to be generic status-quo responses in online discussion forums.

No harm, no foul.

■ "Quis custodiet ipsos custodes ?" ■ "Who watches the watchers ?" ■ the satirical poet, Juvenal ■ 1st century Rome ■
Level 7

@JanVanHaver

I offered up this suggestion before I discovered your excellent essay on the subject of categories and it has helped me enormously already although I am not sure whether I will be using this new found knowledge until I can get some guidance about the nature of our undisclosed trust levels.

As you have seen from previous (and largely negative) responses to your work by some of the  officials who are "in the know" the possibility that any inadvertent breaking (or bending) of THE RULES could seriously affect our trust status and in some cases cause us to be classed as spammers.

I do not know how credible such claims are and I suppose that one of the best ways to monitor it would be if Google Maps allowed each individual to see their own current trust level.

In this way we could see if and when any of the "NOT APPLIED" responses had an immediate or cumulative effect.

The fact that the subject of trust levels is continually brought up when our edits are rejected makes such a disclosure an important part of our ongoing contributions otherwise most of us will be wasting a great deal of our time and effort on a secretive system which is a law unto itself and cannot be questioned.

As has become fairly obvious from the experiences of long-standing, diligent and high-level contributors a massive amount of perfectly valid edits are being rejected out of hand simply because the new automated system is not intelligent enough to check the facts itself and so rather than refer the individual case to a trained professional simply tosses it into a digital dumpster and reduces the trust level of the contributor behind their back.

There are some important human and civil rights issues involved - as well as the morale of the Local Connect community and so I hope that this issue is not going to be swept under the carpet like so many others we have seen.

😞

Level 4

Ce n'est pas un nouvelle catégorie à ajouter mais une catégorie à faire réapparaitre

https://www.localguidesconnect.com/t5/General-Discussion/Cat%C3%A9gories-disparues-Wanished-categori...