jonrz's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 6

Multi-language reviews - User translated

Hello everyone.

First, I'd like to thank you all, and Google, for this awesome community.

My questions are about user-generated translated reviews.

We all know that a knowledgeable human can do a far better job at providing an accurate translation, both in tone and terms.

No matter how good Google translator gets, it is maybe a decade away from achieving almost natural, quasi-human-like, translations.

I speak English, Spanish and Portuguese (Brazilian) fluently, and would like to contribute my reviews in those three languages, to help as many people as possible.

I know Google doesn't offer a tool to contribute multi-language reviews (yet?), and its current focus is on automated translation, which often translates place names wrong (or when it shouldn't be translated), and other issues.

I would like to know if it would be legal/allowed to provide the three languages in the same review. I did a dual-language review already (here), but I'm wondering if that will go against Google rules, especially concerning the word count, because we can improve a badge by providing lengthy reviews (200+ words). If a Googler or moderator could provide a definite answer on that, it would be very helpful.

Google could add a tool such as "add review in another language" to our review menu (already suggested in another topic).
To be extra careful, Google could restrict that feature to level X (7?) and above, or to expert reviewers and above, to improve quality.

I'm level 6 now, but I'm recommending restricting to level 7 and above to assure only very experienced Guides would submit translations.

And maybe, if possible, even allow Guides to provide translations for reviews from other people, with a "translation proofreading" extra step (the translation should be marked as accurate by 3~10 other Guides), also with a X+ level restriction, and worth a low number of points (just 1, for example), to ensure only committed Guides will contribute, and prevent abuse.

Cheers!

Edit:

After posting, I tested the portuguese and spanish automated translation on my post, and the result is just bad.
I mean, I can grasp the general sense of the post, but many sentences can be wrongly interpreted.

That can significantly decrease the quality of a review, especially because most people will barely scan the review in a hurry.

1 comment
Former Google Contributor

Re: Multi-language reviews - User translated

Thanks for the feedback, @jonrz

I'll pass it along but!

Local Guides Community Program Manager
Due to the volume of private messages Google Moderators receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. Thank you.