VlLo's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 10

Missing categories - general question

There is so many wrongly translated and missing categories in Local Guides vs Mapmaker or GMB that I would not even bother to count or name them...

Just to mention i.e. Pharmacy  - it cant be added , but Drug Store can. Main difference is that in Drug Store you can't buy medical supplies or prescription drugs, and it does not have distinct icon... And in most countries of SE Europe translation suggests it is the same...

Missing are schools, public objects, beaches resorts, camping sites, local government, it offers Health where it should offer Hospital, does not offer ER spots... It looks like Cafe is more important then getting to right Emergency room...

With whom or how it can be coordinated so appropriate categories appear as options...

29 comments
Level 9
Level 9

Re: Missing categories - general question

The subject of categories in general and pharmacies in particular has been discussed many times before and Google is aware of the situation

Level 10

With march and announced MM shutdown just days away, such major issue renders mapping service through Maps more or less useless... No feedback no suggestions from anyone concerned...

So I'll repeat the question...

With whom or how it can be coordinated so appropriate categories appear as options?

Is there a way for feedback?

Level 10

Is someone pulling my leg?

Store whose name is Drug Store (in German)  is converted to "Candle store" and category Drug Store is now unavailable to assign...

btw. the most recent version of Google Maps Mobile category Chemist is shown as Pharmacy in MM and Google Maps

dm.jpg

Level 8

Hello,

It's March 7th and the issue of missing categories still exists. I am using English interface with an account from Saudi Arabia. I cannot add or modify many categories included but not limited to: drug store, pharmacy, grocery store. However, if i switch my interface to Arabic, I am able to find pharmacy and grocery store in ARABIC as صيدلية and متجر بقالة respectively. 

Please note that all the missing categories are available and working fine on Map Maker, and that the issue still occur even when I try to add a business in NYC or any other American city so it's obviously related to my localization setting not to the location. This issue occurs on both google.com/maps and google.com.sa/maps

As the end of the month closes by, it's becoming increasingly important to fix this issue before Map Maker is shut down. Can this issue get the attention of our lovely moderators  @TraciC or @Corrie? Please?

Thank you,

Former Google Contributor

Hi @VlLo, thank you very much for bringing this issue to our attention.

For all categories that are not properly translated or missing please let us know. Although we can't promise to add them, as it can become trick to manage millions of categories, we will send your ideas to the relevant team.

@BashaierA - Can you please send us a step-by-step how to reproduce the issue? When I on my computer or mobile device I'm able to see Pharmacy, Drug Store and Grocery Stores under the categories

Screen Shot 2017-03-07 at 1.58.37 PM.png

Due to the volume of private messages Google Moderators receive, I do not read or respond to private messages.
Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. Thank you.
Level 8

Thank you @GusMoreira for your quick response. I am unable to see these categories while modifying or adding new places. Please look at the screenshots from my phone

.no drug store categoryno drug store categoryno pharmacy categoryno pharmacy categoryGrocery store doesn't existGrocery store doesn't exist

This issue was present on both my work desktop and android app earlier today, but NOT on personal desktop.

Here is a screenshot from my work desktop which i'm using Chrome Version 56.0.2924.87 (64-bit) and the categories does not appear.

no pharmacy category on work desktopno pharmacy category on work desktop

However, I have tried it on my personal desktop running Chrome Version 56.0.2924.87 (64-bit) and Version 59.0.3030.1 (Official Build) canary SyzyASan (32-bit)  and it works completely fine with no issues. please see the following screenshot:

No problem on my personal desktopNo problem on my personal desktop

Long Story Short, at this moment, the issue is occurring on my Android Maps (beta) V 9.47.3 (#947300224) and work desktop running chrome Version 56.0.2924.87 (64-bit). Please note that the issue occurs on my phone and work desktop on any account meaning the issue is not limited to specific account.

Please let me know if you still need more information about this.

Thank you,

Former Google Contributor

Thank you SO much for all the screenshots @BashaierA, this is very helpful!

We are investigating what is going on and will provide an update to you soon.

Due to the volume of private messages Google Moderators receive, I do not read or respond to private messages.
Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. Thank you.
Level 7

Temple category not Found [ PROBLEMS ]

Hi min'na 🙂

Probably almost all LGS in Indonesia is still curious as an appropriate category for a "historic, Especially temple.
Of the many temples that exist, nearly all the category "Tourist Attraction" or "Vihara" xD Strange indeed, when we try to search category "temple" or "temple" the results were null, there is no such category in google maps xD
As a result, I tried to find it in google search in English xD and the result was "WOW", says there is "Temple" or "Buddha temple" but the most is the "Tourist Attraction" xD

================================================== ====
Google Search Results (English):

1.PNG2.PNG3.PNG4.PNG5.PNG6.PNG7.PNG

======================

Google Maps English :

11.PNG22.PNG33.PNG44.PNG66.PNG77.PNG

=======================

That was the comparison between google search with google maps English version, there is little difference indeed 🙂
but while doing receipts Indonesian searching through google maps application smartphone result is devastating for me * peace *

Maybe LGS Indonesia and others understand what I mean 🙂

Cheers,
Rengga Prakoso - vzrenggamani

ORIGINALS POST >>> Indoensia Version

Indonesia, Sidoarjo | Cyclist | Graphic and Audio Design
Level 8

Re: Temple category not Found [ PROBLEMS ]

Hi @Rengga,

With problems like this, I will:

1.  Find out the common translation between Temple and your local language

2.  Using English Desktop Maps, while adding a place, search for Temple

- Is the Temple category available?

3.  Do the same for Mobile

4.  After a temple is added in English, switch language to your local language.  See what is the Category Maps is giving.

5.  Now try adding another temple, using local language.  Search for "temple" in your local language

- Do you find it?

6.  Do the same in Mobile again

We have to be very specific on how to reproduce local language issues, before other people can try to help and give us advice.

ps.  With Android Maps, I got the following "Temple" categories:

Buddhist Temple

Hindu Temple

Jain Temple

Land God Temple

Parsi Temple

Sea Goddess Temple

Taoist Temple

For Chinese 廟, I got:

印度教寺廟

土地公廟

媽祖廟