LucioV's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Connect Moderator

Re: May I have an exception for the 1000 photos limit?

@JosephDewey you can embed your photosphere. All badged SVTP can. Instructions are on the SVTP board (although they might have been moved to the new Helpdesk board). If you can't find them let me know.

@LucioV I see a Googler has already responded. Hopefully you'll get an increase. When helping people and I'm using screen shots I try to reuse them from my library which helps keep my count down. The total limit isn't photos in posts, it is photos in the library. If you've got duplicates you could do some cleaning up.

@YK1001 most people cannot use the IFrame embed method. It is limited to SVTP and Moderators to avoid people embedding spam.

Regards Paul

Level 8

Thank you @PaulPavlinovich.

Just want to know what counts and what not.

Level 10

Hello @LucioV,

@ErmesT wrote a post entitled Tips and tricks to manage the photos on Connect. Being the avid photographer and uploader he was, he reached the limit incredibly quickly. You'll need to find your public Album for Community by going to your photos on your profile page, and then selecting ones that are obsolete and can be deleted.

While they might be presented with a ridiculously ugly placeholder once deleted, it's an unfortunate necessity at this point in time. So you'll want to effectively manage which ones should stay, and which ones should go.

It's not the best option, but that's all I could probably recommend. I remember seeing this a few months ago, so I thought I would refer to it. Hope this helps!

Level 10

@PaulPavlinovich wrote:

@JosephDewey you can embed your photosphere. All badged SVTP can. Instructions are on the SVTP board (although they might have been moved to the new Helpdesk board). If you can't find them let me know.

@LucioV I see a Googler has already responded. Hopefully you'll get an increase. When helping people and I'm using screen shots I try to reuse them from my library which helps keep my count down. The total limit isn't photos in posts, it is photos in the library. If you've got duplicates you could do some cleaning up.

@YK1001 most people cannot use the IFrame embed method. It is limited to SVTP and Moderators to avoid people embedding spam.

Regards Paul

Thanks @PaulPavlinovich, yes, i often reuse, but you know that it's not easy to find the correct photo out of 1000 🙂

And, also, cleaning up @Briggs it's not easy, as photos show really slow and sometimes not all are shown.

Anyway, i will go on with my "explain and send screenshots" extension, this is not going to kill me, at last.

Thank you all!

Connect Moderator

Hi @LucioV, I've reached your post only today. I hope that @VicL1 will come back with a positive response.

I'm aware that my suggested way to find duplicate photo and a cleanup of the album sometime doesn't work fine, because many times the album stops loading

What about, let say, set the limit to 3 Gbyte of space instead of 1000 photos (each one limited to 3 Mbyte). It should make no difference in terms of space usage, but a lot of differennce is someone is just using screenshots

What do you think @YK1001

Ermes

Level 8

If Connect can give different Limits to Different, then simply Connect can allow certain LGs to have higher limits.  I guess it is not technically feasible.

Switch the counter from Quantity of Photos to Size used by Photos surely can help - again, only if the platform is allowing.  I also guess.

The existing Photo Album is a plain to use.  If they can:

1.  Assign a slot number to each photos.  Provide a way to "jump to a slot" quickly.

2.  Allow mass export of photos, with the slot number added to file name

3.  Allow merge of Photos - such that Posts using the Photos will have pointers updated correctly while in the Merge

Then it is possible for us to tidy up our Albums, may be we can free 5% to 15% of our quotas.

And hopefully, it will allows us enough time to wait for the next great thing to happen.

But I guess 1,2,3 are actually harder to do than just raise the limits.

I want to create mGIF or mPNG, what is the best tools for that?  Combining multiple photos into one mGIF/mPNG, it can reduce the use of quotas.

Level 10

Thank you @ErmesT and @YK1001! Yes, space limit could be a better choice, but I think that it's not the easier way.

I'ts really hard to help other LGs without having a quick way to add a screenshot, but I'm doing my way using img.ur hosting and this extension: https://jasonsavard.com/it-IT/about?ref=SSOptionsMenu (explain and send screenshots), but these are a more time consuming method.

I think this is the way the things have to go in Connect; someone else will rise and answer questions instead of me, when i can't 🙂

Eventually i will forward more complex requests here to Google Maps and Earth support forum, where I'm Rising Star and there is no photo upload limits.

I think that all we had to say was said, and as this thread was already noticed by Googlers, maybe it's only time to accept this limit.

Thanks again 😉

Former Google Contributor
Solution

EDIT: NEW ARTICLE IN THE HELP DESK ON THIS ISSUE!!!

Hello @LucioV,

Very sorry for the delay in response here!

We will not be making an exception for photo uploads but we do recognize that the photo uploads that come through via external sources should not be counting towards your photo counts.

As you have identified that strange behavior, we will be looking into it as this is definitely something that doesn't see right.  When I have more information, I will update the thread here.

I am not available to respond on the weekend
Level 10

Yes @LucioV, you well deserve it as your postings on Connect is very helpful. 

Keep inspiring all Local Guides.

@BruceDM @YK1001 @Briggs

Level 10

@BruceDM wrote:

Hello @LucioV,

Very sorry for the delay in response here!

We will not be making an exception for photo uploads but we do recognize that the photo uploads that come through via external sources should not be counting towards your photo counts.

As you have identified that strange behavior, we will be looking into it as this is definitely something that doesn't see right.  When I have more information, I will update the thread here.

Thanks a lot @BruceDM, you will find detailed explaination of this issue in a dedicated thread. 🙂