ShariqA's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 7

Local guide certificate

I would like to request for Level 5 Certificate. A hardcopy.

We must have a certificate for our willingly work.

45 comments

Accepted Solutions
Level 10
Solution

Re: Local guide certificate

Hi @ShariqA

It is very unlikely that any sort of hard copy certificate is going to be issued by Google. It would mean (or suggest) that we are in any form, officially affiliated with Google and people could assume that we "work" on behalf of Google. In some extreme cases, this could lead to misuse or abuse of the certificate (let's face it, it is just very easy to become a LG and there are even some LG's who abuse these forums right here with spam). 

There are some programs where Google recruits officially certificated partners (like AdWords) but even those sometimes abuse the system (I have seen occasions when they said to clients that they can also influence organic search results for instance). 

A few years ago, I participated in a program to become an officially recognised instructor for SketchUp, a 3D modelling application (now no longer a Google product though). I got a certificate then but had to take courses and exams for it and such courses and exams - as well as maintaining such an instructor status - usually also involves paying to Google. 

There used to be certificates for other areas, too, like I am also a certified GEO modeler (although GEO modeling is also no longer part of Google's portfolio since everything is automated for the 3D view now) and that also required serious exams and all. 

Also by the time I got to this point, we knew each other with the Googlers involved quite much by participating forums and even personally when visiting Google's HQ's in Mountain View so there was a certain level of "trust" already. This is completely missing in the LG program at the moment. 

I am also a Google Webmaster Top Contributor but even there we do not get any official hard copy of it although there are only 17 of us listed as English Language Webmaster TC's in the TC Program and we have met our Googlers several times in the past - also only "trustworthy" people get listed anyway.

View solution in original post

Level 8

@ShariqA wrote:

I would like to request for Level 5 Certificate. A hardcopy.

We must have a certificate for our willingly work.

That would be a swell idea, in my opinion.

But I doubt Google will go along.

Design, printing, paper, envelopes, mailing... that would cost a lot in money, time, staff and logistics...

Level 7

I agreed.

But we are also invest time, money, energy and Internet cost. at least Google must have encourage policies by distribute contribution Certificates, TShirts and other gadgets.

Level 8

True.

They accumulate a lot of free data thanks to us.

Honestly, I think it's the whole purpose of the "Local Guide" gimmick.

We are volunteers. Either we accept it or not, because it's clear they won't reward everyone.

i do it for fun and don't expect anything in return.

On the day it will become to costly, I'll simply quit.

Level 7

Again agreed. They give us 100gb for one year.

Well expect certificate is truly required.

The certificate in the form of hardcopy is best cost effective idea.

Nothing else required.

Anyway in daily life Google map helping us a lot.

I am helping Google map to getting help from Google that's it.

Certificate is requested still 😀

Level 10
Solution

Hi @ShariqA

It is very unlikely that any sort of hard copy certificate is going to be issued by Google. It would mean (or suggest) that we are in any form, officially affiliated with Google and people could assume that we "work" on behalf of Google. In some extreme cases, this could lead to misuse or abuse of the certificate (let's face it, it is just very easy to become a LG and there are even some LG's who abuse these forums right here with spam). 

There are some programs where Google recruits officially certificated partners (like AdWords) but even those sometimes abuse the system (I have seen occasions when they said to clients that they can also influence organic search results for instance). 

A few years ago, I participated in a program to become an officially recognised instructor for SketchUp, a 3D modelling application (now no longer a Google product though). I got a certificate then but had to take courses and exams for it and such courses and exams - as well as maintaining such an instructor status - usually also involves paying to Google. 

There used to be certificates for other areas, too, like I am also a certified GEO modeler (although GEO modeling is also no longer part of Google's portfolio since everything is automated for the 3D view now) and that also required serious exams and all. 

Also by the time I got to this point, we knew each other with the Googlers involved quite much by participating forums and even personally when visiting Google's HQ's in Mountain View so there was a certain level of "trust" already. This is completely missing in the LG program at the moment. 

I am also a Google Webmaster Top Contributor but even there we do not get any official hard copy of it although there are only 17 of us listed as English Language Webmaster TC's in the TC Program and we have met our Googlers several times in the past - also only "trustworthy" people get listed anyway.

Level 7

@ShariqA wrote:

Again agreed. They give us 100gb for one year.

Well expect certificate is truly required.

The certificate in the form of hardcopy is best cost effective idea.

Nothing else required.

Anyway in daily life Google map helping us a lot.

I am helping Google map to getting help from Google that's it.

Certificate is requested still 😀

you are absolutely right, i support you 

Level 5

i think so.... but local guides should not be for everyone.... i mean local guides point system should be improved..... many people giving fake ratings and getting points in 1-2 days. 

Level 8

@CatE wrote:

i think so.... but local guides should not be for everyone.... i mean local guides point system should be improved..... many people giving fake ratings and getting points in 1-2 days. 

I agree with that totally.

Unfortunately, it's too late.

Level 5

Thanks for supporting 😊