IvanLondon's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 7

Local fairs

Hi guys,

It would be cool to be able to add local Fairs to the parks on Google Maps, like is one coming on May 13th in Richmond Green.

And then it would be great to be able to search for upcoming events on Google Maps by location and dates.

IMG_5273.JPG

Ivan London 

10 comments
Level 7

Re: Local fairs

Hi @IvanLondon, I had a smilar idea regarding the listing of temporary events (fairs incluided).

You can have a look at it here: Feature request: temporary events (race, festival, fair, etc) listed in Explore under Events.

Let me know what you think of it :-).

Wanna have a look at my lvl5 Local Guide profile or my new food-focused Instagram?

Level 7

@JessY Hi Jessy, I like your idea too!  Thanks 

Level 8

Hi @IvanLondon,

As more and more Google data is linked, I would not at all be surprised if eventually the borders between Google Search Engine and Google Maps for example are no longer so well defined. Already when you search on Google does one get Map like search results. In relation to your topic, Google Search already has a procedure in place to get ones festival or event to appear in search results.

As a Local Guides, I have become much more aware of the way Google works and all its products. My impression is, that festival or event data is not simply listed on Google because somebody manually added it. Instead Googlebots are crawling websites and are using published data protocols so that their bots can pick up and recognise certain information. You can read about these data markups for events here.

So although your idea is valid, like @JessYs great idea, I struggle to see a link with how it would affect Local Guides. Am I missing something?

Yours, Jeroen

Level 7

@JeroenM Thanks man. We Local Guides could add our local fairs, festivals etc. for others to find them easily and plan their leisure time.

Ivan London 

Level 9
Level 9

@Il wrote:

It would be cool to be able to add local Fairs to the parks on Google Maps, like is one coming on May 13th in Richmond Green.

If an event is regular and recurring it is allowed on the map, therefore since the Ricmond May Fair is in its 48th year, you already have the power to add this.

The caveats are that it can't be added more than two weeks before the event and after it has finished it must be marked as permanently closed. The listing will then remain available until next year when it can be re-opened again.

Level 7

@Pea Thanks Philip, could you please advise how to do it?

And it would be also great to remove the existing limitations:

1. Let's open the functionality for all events not just re-occurring ones

2. Let's enable adding events even beyond the 2-week period 

Have a great day!

Ivan London 

Level 9
Level 9

@Il wrote:

Thanks Philip, could you please advise how to do it?

You would add it like any normal feature, it is a standard POI that just happens to close for long periods.

The base map won't be opened to all events, as you could imagine it would quickly fill and include all kinds of one-offs, opening nights, promotional events etc. Google looked at the situation and decided regular events like festivals were OK. The two week period before an opening is standard for all POIs

Level 7

@Pea Thanks man, and can I do it on Mobile? If so, please advise the initial steps as I have never done this before.

p.s. personally I think that all events should be visible on Google Maps. I agree that this could add quite a lot of information and pointers, but special layers/filters could be a solution. For example I want to see all family events in my area in the next 3 months, so I select my area, and then I select a new 'family events' layer/filter, plus the time period and the relevant ones appear on my Google Maps. How does this sound to you?

Best,

Ivan London 

Level 9
Level 9

@Il wrote:

can I do it on Mobile? If so, please advise the initial steps as I have never done this before.

Yes https://support.google.com/local-guides/answer/6320846?

@Il wrote:

personally I think that all events should be visible on Google Maps...... How does this sound to you?

To me it sounds like a bad idea, but I don't make the rules. Google owns the map and they looked at this and decided how they want us to map. There will always be special interests that one person or another says 'this should be on the map'. You want all events, another guy will say post boxes should be mapped, or potholes, or rubbish bins (btw I really hate litter), the list is endless. Google wants to keep the base map clean to a certain extent - for everything else custom maps are available https://www.google.com/maps/about/mymaps/