AntonS's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 8

Re: Local approval for questions

@JeroenM That was a long reply 😉 

I am not denying that unisex may be a special topic for women or a special topic for transgender people. What I was saying is that this question needs to be added or not added to the standard questions based on the country. I wonder, does this question appear say, in UAE? And I'd say ask this in the US for sure.

But here in Germany (where I currently live), this is not an issue. Nobody talks about it because why would they. I have never ever seen a unisex (meaning a bathroom that is shared by the sexes) bathroom ever. Like really never. Even old buildings they will have male and female. Period. Now, you could ask Google to add the question if there are gender neutral bathrooms. But again, if you are transgender, just pick the one you identify with. This is not the US where some simple people then go all nuts about it. 

And since they are asking whether there is handicapped entrance, you could add the question if there is a handicapped bathroom. I believe it is not required by law (as some do, some don't) so this would be a helpful question if you are in a wheelchair. And you are right, there are always unisex.

I did not understand what you said about the comment of a fellow local guide. He said that unisex is not applicable because LGBT is not accepted in his society? Yes, it is bad that LGBT people are not accepted there. But for who else is a unisex bathroom? Or is this even for LGBT? I think they would rather prefer if they can just go to the bathroom that they identify with? That is how it is here so it seems to be the easiest way.

And now writing about this... I am now also confused what exactly do they mean by unisex? Is it, like you said, just one bathroom with a lockable door that can be used by both sexes but only one person at a time? Is that a unisex bathroom? Or the ones where you have two bathroom areas but meet at the sink? Is that unisex? Or do they mean flat out all mixed together and you could be in a stall next to another stall of the opposite sex?

Still, I stand my ground, dumb question for Germany 😉 It is always divided (except the disabled one) and if you are transgender, use the one you identify with. Done...

Level 7

@ChristopherC wrote:

<snip> In Germany I have never seen unisex, they are always separate (by law I think) <snip> 

A quick Google suggests to me that in some jurisdictions in Germany unisex toilets are tolerated.

... during Berlin Fashion Week just a few days ago. Totally unexpectedly, I found myself in a unisex restroom. There was a very long line trailing out the door, comprised of, upon closer inspection, more women than men. The women seemed well practiced in patience, while the slightly annoyed men played incessantly on their phones >

Deutsche Welle (DW) Germany’s international broadcaster

Level 8

Yes, tolerated as in, if it is a venue that usually does not host events/parties, that is tolerated. I was at the Fashion week two years ago I think and you will see tons of temp locations. Also during summer, there may be pop-up BBQ or party locations and they might only have honeybuckets as toilets. Those will also be unisex. 

And yes, the long lines are very common. Lines for the women but for the guys almost never a line because we can be much quicker. It absolutely sucks for women. And sometimes the lines are so long that guys sneak their girlfiriends in to quickly run into a man's stall. Nobody cares about that though.

Trust me, in Germany, 99.9% are male/female bathrooms. The 0.1% are not scientific but I can recollect with two hands how many unisex bathrooms I have seen over the year in different cities in Germany. It remains a pointless question for Germany.