RobAo's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 8

Local Guides at #DevFestNairobi17

360 shot from the stand infront of over 400 attendees in a tent at Strathmore University, Nairobi360 shot from the stand infront of over 400 attendees in a tent at Strathmore University, Nairobi

On the stand presenting about Local Guides during DevFest17, Nairobi at Strathmore UniversityOn the stand presenting about Local Guides during DevFest17, Nairobi at Strathmore UniversityI was invited to give a talk at the Nairobi Google Developer Group DevFest on Saturday, November 10th 2017 at Strathmore University. The title of the talk was Making the world a better place with the Local Guides Programme, aimed at sharing about what the Local Guides program is about and my experience at the Local Guides Summit. Together with @SarahKa and a template by @LucioV, we worked on this Google Slides Presentation which was shared with the audience to follow through. It's a 30-minute compact presentation without most of the descriptive details of the program. (We experienced some technical hitches with the slides and sadly no live stream [Sorry, @SanyaOdare. I'll update the post later in the week with a link to the video once I receive it]).

When I asked the audience how many were Local Guides, a handful raised their hands, indicating the need for greater awareness about the program. Nearly 10 people reached out after the talk to ask more about the program and a desire to join while others indicated they were Level X but didn't know about the communities and LG Connect.

Attendees got a bag with a DevFest Tshirt and Maasai Shuka (African Blanket)Attendees got a bag with a DevFest Tshirt and Maasai Shuka (African Blanket)

Andelans ready to present various talks tat #DevFestNairobi17Andelans ready to present various talks tat #DevFestNairobi17Here are a couple of questions during and after the session and how I responded (paraphrased😞
- When is the Street View program coming to Kenya? [Discussed 360 cameras and how individuals can contribute via Street View. For official Street View content, this is to be confirmed].

- How can we be assured of security when we have our cameras on our street? [This is a local issue, on which Nairobi photographers are pushing our governor for support ]
- Can the communities support the Local Guides better in ways such as events and more? [This was brought up during the LG Summit as well. Added the individual to our Nairobi Community group and we'll work on improving the frequency of our meetups @KoffiK]

- With all the content being crowdsourced by Local Guides, can the developers have access to some of it on Google Maps? @TraciC, best response for this?]

- How do we know that our contributions are of quality? [Received this question later on. I'll update the slide with links to some Youtube videos.].

Picking up the tags and cardsPicking up the tags and cardsCrowd lining up for the eventCrowd lining up for the eventFeedback on the presentation from the organizer

- It was engaging. Used the last 5 minutes for Q&A and shared slides which helped those in the back who couldn't see the main screen.

- Most of the audience could relate to the program

- In the future, bring out the value of being a Local Guide in the local community (localise the content?)

Explain more about how users can contribute quality content.

- Positive feedback on the flow of the slides.

@TraciC is it possible to have a 1-hour descriptive deck vs a 30-minute crash course deck?

Rachael, Kefa, Sylvie, Wanyama and Robert. Wanyama joined us for the first Nairobi Photowalk, Sylvie and Rachel are new members via the Whatsapp group and Kefa joined the community after the session.Rachael, Kefa, Sylvie, Wanyama and Robert. Wanyama joined us for the first Nairobi Photowalk, Sylvie and Rachel are new members via the Whatsapp group and Kefa joined the community after the session.

Joey from Firebase on the stand presentingJoey from Firebase on the stand presenting

Strathmore University, Ole Sangale Road, Nairobi, Kenya
7 comments
Level 10

Re: Local Guides at #DevFestNairobi17

Level 9

Keep Shining bro @RobAo 🙂 😁🎉🎉

Level 9

Hey @RobAo , sounds awesome!

Thanks to share with us everything =D soon (and hopefully haha) I'll do the same.

Waiting the video =)))

See you!

Level 8

Excellent, @RobAo!

Level 10

@RobAo this is amazing!!!! keep at it! ooh and its just the begining

Nairobi local Guides Group - https://www.facebook.com/groups/581726852313311
https://www.instagram.com/localguideske/
https://twitter.com/localguideske
Level 9

Congratulation and thank you for representing us well. Big ups @RobAo

It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
Level 9

Tebrikler

çok iyi bir organizasyon.

CİHAN ODABAŞI